Find Image & Object Distances from h, h', f

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for determining image and object distance, including M=h'/h=-q/p, q=-ph'/h, 1/p+1/q=1/f, and 1/p+1(-ph'/h)=-1/f. The speaker understands these equations but is unsure of how the next step, 1/p(1-h/h')=1/f, is derived. They then express a need for an explanation before being able to sleep.
tre.benjamin
length. I was asked to find the image and the object distance. I didnt think it was possible till i found this

M=h'/h=-q/p : I knew this

q=-ph'/h : I understood how they did this

1/p+1/q=1/f : I knew this

1/p+1(-ph'/h)=-1/f : This i understood also, but how they came up with this next step i have no idear.

1/p(1-h/h')=1/f :Then,

p=f(1-h/h') : smh i just need some kind of explanation then i will be able to sleep

Physics news on Phys.org

1/p+1/(-ph'/h)=1/f

1/p - h/(ph') = 1/f |factor 1/p

(1/p)(1-h/h') = 1/f |/(1-h/h')

1/p = 1/[f(1-h/h')]

p = f(1-h/h')

1. How do you find the image distance (h') using the formula?

The image distance (h') can be found using the formula: h' = hf / (h + f), where h is the object distance and f is the focal length.

2. Can you explain the concept of object distance and image distance in simple terms?

The object distance is the distance between the object and the lens, while the image distance is the distance between the lens and the image formed. These distances are important in determining the size and position of the image formed by the lens.

3. What is the significance of the focal length in finding image and object distances?

The focal length is a crucial factor in determining the image and object distances. It is the distance between the lens and the point where the light rays converge to form a sharp image. In the formula h' = hf / (h + f), the focal length is used to calculate the image distance.

4. How do you determine which distance is positive and which is negative in the formula?

The sign conventions for image and object distances are different. The object distance (h) is always positive, as it is measured from the object to the lens. The image distance (h') is positive if the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens as the object, and negative if the image is formed on the same side as the object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding image and object distances?

Yes, the formula is based on the thin lens formula and assumes that the lens is thin and all light rays pass through the center of the lens. It also does not take into account any aberrations or distortions in the image formed. Additionally, the formula may not be accurate for complex optical systems with multiple lenses.