Vector Calculus & Diff Equations book?

In summary: I like Davis & Snider's Introduction to Vector Analysis. It has appendices on "The Vector Equations of Classical Mechanics" and "The Vector Equations of Electromagnetism" (at least the 6th edition does).
Hobold
Ok, the professor I got who is supposed to teach Vector Calculus and Differential Equations sucks and also does the book he uses. I am a Mechanical Engineering student and I will begin self teaching those subjects. For that matter, I would like good books, if possible. I sense those subjects are really important in engineering and I don't want to miss.

I am looking for books that are not entirely pure mathematics but also aren't totally mechanical na labour work (such as "solve this equation, now do this and you get the answer yay"). I would like to actually understand the theory behind Vector Calculus and Diff Equations but also get some applications.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your suggestion. That's exactly what I would like to see, physical examples with solid mathematics background.

I studied most of single variable calculus on Spivak's so I wanted something solid as well as practical.

Hobold said:
Ok, the professor I got who is supposed to teach Vector Calculus and Differential Equations sucks and also does the book he uses. I am a Mechanical Engineering student and I will begin self teaching those subjects. For that matter, I would like good books, if possible. I sense those subjects are really important in engineering and I don't want to miss.

I am looking for books that are not entirely pure mathematics but also aren't totally mechanical na labour work (such as "solve this equation, now do this and you get the answer yay"). I would like to actually understand the theory behind Vector Calculus and Diff Equations but also get some applications.

Thanks in advance.

not so strong on theory, but very strong on applications (and pointing out what is important) and strong on providing you with intuition, is the free online book by Prof. Nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

you can also pick up a cheap Dover edition if you like it.

here's what crowe wrote in his history of vector calculus:

...it may be noted that the vast majority of the authors of the books presenting the modern form of vector analysis were physicists. This is appropriate in that the great future for vector analysis lay in physical science; at present nearly all books on electricity and mechanics use vector analysis, and it appears not infrequently in books on optics and heat conduction. It is also used in many parts of modern physics, and its applications for the engineer are legion. Vector analysis has been of great value to the geometer, but geometers are few in number among modern mathematicians. Such mathematical creations as matrices, vector spaces, groups, and fields are associated only indirectly with vector analysis in the traditional sense. In many cases however their roots extend back historically to the broad system of development that culminated in the first decade of this century.

... so today I think Griffith's E&M book (or one of its equivalents) might actually be a good place to start, since it's sort of in the wilson-gibbs-coffin-maxwell-heaviside tradition. So far I've only seen good reviews & sample pages online but it looks pretty good. One day I'll get to it. Schey's is good too, and also written by a physicist even though I think it's intended to be more of a math text.

Last edited:
I like Davis & Snider's Introduction to Vector Analysis. It has appendices on "The Vector Equations of Classical Mechanics" and "The Vector Equations of Electromagnetism" (at least the 6th edition does).

Tenenbaum and Pollard is often recommended. It has lots of examples which I imagine would make it good for practice and learning specific techiniques, but I've found it hard make progress with understanding the basic concepts. I can never tell when their x's and y's mean functions and when they mean numbers - but that might just be a personal thing...

Last edited:
For vector calculus, you may want to look into Marsden & Tromba's book. It's in-between the more computationally oriented books and the more rigorous books. Also look at Hubbard & Hubbard on the topic, although their book is more for mathematics students.

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the use of vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, as well as concepts like vector fields, line integrals, and surface integrals.

2. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a function or a system changes over time. They involve the use of derivatives, which represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function, and are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

3. Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It allows us to study and analyze vector quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force, and to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems using differential equations.

4. How does vector calculus relate to real-world applications?

Vector calculus has many real-world applications, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. For example, it can be used to model and analyze the flow of fluids, the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies like GPS navigation and computer graphics.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning vector calculus and differential equations?

Some recommended resources for learning vector calculus and differential equations include textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, and "Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems" by Dennis G. Zill and Warren S. Wright. Online courses and video lectures can be found on platforms like Coursera, Khan Academy, and YouTube. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and discussing concepts with peers and instructors.