Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot

In summary, the person is looking for a way to plot a list of points with x, y, and z coordinates and connect them with lines. They have tried using ListLinePlot and ListPlot3D, but those methods did not work. They have found a solution using the function Line and want to know how to plot multiple sets of data with different colors in the same box.
brydustin
I want to plot a list of points where each element is of the form {x,y,z} so that the list is like:

{ {x1,y1,z1} , {x2,y2,z2} , ... , {xN,yN,zN} }.

And I want to connect a line between each consectutive pair (i.e. {x(i-1),y(i-1),z(i-1)} & {x(i),y(i),z(i)} ).

Unfortunately, its not as simple as ListLinePlot[List, Joined -> True], what this will do is take each {x(j),y(j),z(j)} and plot them each as separate lines each with 3 points in 2-D space.

Also, its not as simple as ListPlot3D[List, Joined -> True]
Because the Joined function is not defined in 3-D. But surely there is a way around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your list is stored in a variable named dat:

Graphics3D[Line[dat]]

DaleSpam said:
Assuming your list is stored in a variable named dat:

Graphics3D[Line[dat]]

Now that I know the name of the function, I'm not sure how I might plot two sets of data, like dat1 and dat2 where the lines are color1 and color2, for example.

I think they have examples in the online help for Line.

DaleSpam said:
I think they have examples in the online help for Line.

Specifically, I wanted to know how to have multiple different colored lines in a box, but what they show is how to have multiple sets of lines with different colors however not in the same box, their example:

l = Line[{{1, 1, -1}, {2, 2, 1}, {3, 3, -1}, {4, 4, 1}}];
{Graphics3D[{Dashed, l}], Graphics3D[{Pink, l}],
Graphics3D[{Thick, l}], Graphics3D[{Thick, Dashed, Pink, l}]}

Which makes four boxes, I want one box with 4 lines each with a different color, for example.

What is Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot?

Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot is a function in the Mathematica software that allows for the visualization of three-dimensional data in the form of a list of points or coordinates.

How do I create a 3-D list plot in Mathematica?

To create a 3-D list plot in Mathematica, you can use the ListPlot3D function and input your data as a list of points or coordinates. You can also customize the plot by adding labels, colors, and other features.

What are the advantages of using Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot?

Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot allows for a visual representation of data in three-dimensional space, making it easier to analyze and understand complex data sets. It also offers various customization options to enhance the visual appeal of the plot.

Can I use Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot for data analysis?

Yes, you can use Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot for data analysis. The function includes various tools and features that allow for data manipulation and analysis, such as finding minima and maxima, fitting functions, and computing integrals.

Are there any limitations to using Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot?

One limitation of using Mathematica Spatial 3-D List Plot is that it may not be suitable for large data sets, as it may slow down the software. It is also limited to visualizing data in three dimensions, so it may not be the best option for data sets with more than three variables.