Any real easy to use Latex editor out there?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: If you just want your equations to be in latex, you can use latexit to make images that you can just insert into word.However, if you just download TexShop or similar, use the templates the come with it, and check out the wikibook on mathematical latex, you will probably be able to use latex without looking at the wiki book every 2 seconds after maybe 10 pages of typing. I'm not great at programming but found that I got the hang of latex really fast.You could use LyX--it's mostly WYSIWYG (like Word), while still allowing you to go under the hood (so to speak):http://www.lyx.org/
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey guys, I need to write up some physics homework, and I'd like to do it on Latex. The only thing is, my eyes start glossing over when I see like the regular latex editors where you have to format things and type a lot of commands just to get the formatting or the text to come out or w/e (I suck with computers ok?). I was wondering if there was a program that would work kind of like PF forums where, I could type like regular (like a text document) and then I would just insert some tags for when I want to type out an equation. Is there anything like this? I like the graphical formatting of something like Word (it's easy for me to follow) and I can't stand the command line formatting, but I do want to write some pretty equations haha. Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Matterwave said:
Hey guys, I need to write up some physics homework, and I'd like to do it on Latex. The only thing is, my eyes start glossing over when I see like the regular latex editors where you have to format things and type a lot of commands just to get the formatting or the text to come out or w/e (I suck with computers ok?). I was wondering if there was a program that would work kind of like PF forums where, I could type like regular (like a text document) and then I would just insert some tags for when I want to type out an equation. Is there anything like this? I like the graphical formatting of something like Word (it's easy for me to follow) and I can't stand the command line formatting, but I do want to write some pretty equations haha. Thanks guys!

If you just want your equations to be in latex, you can use latexit to make images that you can just insert into word.

However, if you just download TexShop or similar, use the templates the come with it, and check out the wikibook on mathematical latex, you will probably be able to use latex without looking at the wiki book every 2 seconds after maybe 10 pages of typing. I'm not great at programming but found that I got the hang of latex really fast.

You could use LyX--it's mostly WYSIWYG (like Word), while still allowing you to go under the hood (so to speak):
http://www.lyx.org/

However, you'll still need a LaTeX install if you want to use LyX.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think PF has a good symbol selector.

But this one has a symbol selector that is more intuitive, and also important, pops up really quickly! :)
Not to mention that the resulting equation is continuously visible and refreshes instantly.

Although I have to say I'm pleased with the LaTeX capability in PF.
It supports most of LaTeX and it is of great use on PF. :smile:

Thanks guys!

Oh, I downloaded Lyx, but in the midst of it downloading "miktex", it said that the file could not be found so I skipped that part of the download (no idea what it is, so...), but now I can't export to pdf or view pdfs or anything they say "no information for exporting the format pdf (pdflatex)" or something like that. Should I go download something else to install? @_@

Nevermind, I downloaded the bundled version and now it seems to be fine. Thanks!

1. What is Latex and why is it used for scientific writing?

Latex is a document preparation system that is commonly used for scientific writing. It allows for precise typesetting and formatting of documents, making it ideal for creating complex equations, tables, and figures in scientific papers.

2. Is Latex difficult to use?

Latex can be challenging for beginners, but there are many user-friendly editors available that make it easier to learn and use. These editors often have built-in templates and tools that simplify the process of creating Latex documents.

3. What are some popular Latex editors?

Some popular Latex editors include Overleaf, Texmaker, and TeXstudio. These editors are free to use and have a user-friendly interface, making it easy for scientists and researchers to create professional-looking documents.

4. Are there any online Latex editors available?

Yes, there are several online Latex editors, such as Overleaf and ShareLaTeX, that allow users to create and collaborate on documents in real-time. These editors are convenient for those who do not want to download and install software on their computer.

5. Can I use Latex for non-scientific documents?

Yes, Latex can be used for a variety of documents, including resumes, presentations, and even novels. However, it is most commonly used in scientific and technical fields due to its advanced typesetting capabilities.