Quantum Chemistry and Quantum Mechanics.

In summary, the student is concerned about their level of math and physics compared to other chemistry students and how it may affect their understanding of physical chemistry courses. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks on quantum chemistry and computational chemistry, but also wondering if they need to learn the foundations of quantum mechanics before delving into chemistry. The expert suggests that most quantum chemistry textbooks cover the necessary quantum mechanical concepts and have a similar level of math as introductory QM textbooks. They also recommend Ira Levine's book on Quantum Chemistry as an example.
TAMEPJLAH
Hi. I am a 3rd year chemistry student and I want to go into quantum chemistry. What bothers me is that when I talk to all the chemistry students in my class their maths and physics is pretty much on 1st year lvl, because of that the physical chemistry courses seem really weak and I feel that if I don't start doing extra study now I will have to do lots of catching up in the next years. I was wandering if you knew of some good textbooks on quantum chemistry and computational chemistry. My maths and physics is on second year uni level. Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions :)

PS: Sorry forgot to change the title. My initial question was going to be how quantom chemistry and quantum mechanics relate. Because I want to learn quantum mechanics in general I was wandering how much extra study I would need to be able to work on non-chemical systems. Or whether I would need to learn the foundation of quantum mechanics before I even go into chemistry. Thanks again for any answers :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, a book on quantum chemistry contains the necessary quantum mechanical notions to get you familiar with the concept of covalent chemical bond. The level of mathematics in such a book is the same as the level of mathematics on any introductory QM textbook (such as Griffith's book on QM) and usually contains linear algebra + solving of partial differential equations through the separation of variables method (thus reducing them to ordinary DE's), only quite slightly touching group representation theory, especially for discrete symmetry groups needed to describe molecular structures.

Ira Levine's book on Quantum Chemistry (I have the 2000 edition) is an illustration of my 5 lines above.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics?

Quantum chemistry is a branch of chemistry that uses principles from quantum mechanics to study the behavior of atoms and molecules. Quantum mechanics is a broader field that encompasses the study of all subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles at the atomic level?

Quantum mechanics is based on the concept that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition. It also explains how particles can be in multiple places at once, known as quantum tunneling. These principles help us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

3. What is the role of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that particles can have properties of both waves and particles, making them difficult to fully understand and predict.

4. How is quantum chemistry used in practical applications?

Quantum chemistry has many practical applications, including drug design, materials science, and the development of new technologies. It can also be used to understand and predict chemical reactions and properties of materials at the molecular level.

5. What are some current challenges in quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics research?

One of the main challenges in quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics research is developing more accurate and efficient computational methods to handle complex systems. Another challenge is developing a better understanding of quantum entanglement and its potential applications in quantum computing and communication.