Can a 3D Printer/Copier Create Anything?

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary: I didn't see anything in that clip that is impossible to make using 3D printing, although it has been dramatised (I would probably take longer to scan the wrench, identify the moving parts etc) for effect.The technology is expensive (the printed wrench would be MUCH more expensive than a SS one, the company we use would charge a few hundred pounds for something like that); and the parts are not THAT strong although the strength depends on the compound used (but none of the parts I've seen could substitute the real ones).
Physics news on Phys.org
Look very carefully at the handle end of the real wrench, the handle end of the computer simulation, and the handle end of the printed wrench.

3D printer technology does exist and is getting more and more sophisticated (e.g. reprap) but this show is just sheer dramatisation.

I did not see anything in that clip that is impossible to make using 3D printing, although it has been dramatised (I would probably take longer to scan the wrench, identify the moving parts etc) for effect.
The workshop at the institure where I work sometimes uses a subcontractor for 3D printing, and I have collegues who frequently use this to for example prototype complicated parts for vacuum chambers before making the real parts. And yes, I have seen samples with moving parts.
However, the technology is expensive (the printed wrench would be MUCH more expensive than a SS one, the company we use would charge a few hundred pounds for something like that); and the parts are not THAT strong although the strength depends on the compound used (but none of the parts I've seen could substitute the real ones).

Edit: One common application for 3D printing is to make moulds for casting, the the cast objects are of course just as strong as objects that have been made using more conventional methods.

I don't understand why so many of these threads have popped up recently. They all ask essentially the same question, and point to the same YouTube video.

Actually, looking at what I just wrote, I'm thinking it may be a version of viral marketing.

In answer of the OP:
Yes, its real, although the video (advertisement, actually) oversimplifies the process. There are a number of methods that fall under the heading of "3D printing". Stereolithography, Fused Deposition Modeling, Direct Metal Laser Sintering, and more.
As usual, plenty of info on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing" , with links to university studies, manufacturers, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
We actually have one of these in our school. It is awesome! :)

Jimmy Snyder said:
Look very carefully at the handle end of the real wrench, the handle end of the computer simulation, and the handle end of the printed wrench.
I don't even think you need to look carefully lol it is painfully obvious.

The first time I heard about this sort of thing was for the replication of parts on space shuttles traveling to mars, etc...I think it was on the History channel.

Pffffft the entire thing is Photoshopped...

1. What is a 3D printer/copier and how does it work?

A 3D printer/copier is a machine that uses a process called additive manufacturing to create three-dimensional objects from a digital file. This process involves laying down layers of material, such as plastic or metal, until the object is complete.

2. What materials can be used with a 3D printer/copier?

3D printers/copiers can use a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, resin, and even food items like chocolate. The materials used will depend on the type of printer/copier being used and the desired end product.

3. How accurate are 3D printed/copied objects?

The accuracy of a 3D printed/copied object depends on the printer/copier being used and the level of detail in the digital design. Generally, most 3D printers/copiers have a resolution of around 100 microns, meaning they can create objects with very fine details.

4. Can a 3D printer/copier print/copy any object?

While 3D printers/copiers can create a wide range of objects, there are limitations to what they can produce. Factors such as the size and complexity of the object, as well as the capabilities of the printer/copier, can affect what can be printed/copyied. Additionally, some objects may require post-processing or assembly after being printed/copied.

5. How can 3D printing/copying be used in different industries?

3D printing/copying has a variety of applications across numerous industries. It can be used for prototyping in product design, creating custom parts for manufacturing, producing medical and dental implants, and even creating food items. The possibilities for 3D printing/copying are constantly expanding as the technology advances.