Problem of quadratic equation with two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging an equation and finding the discriminant for the purpose of solving a binomial. The main concept is finding the product of two identical terms from the discriminant in order to solve the original equation. It is important to rearrange the equation correctly in order to end up with the desired function.
Sumedh

Homework Statement

If 3x2+2αxy+2y2+2ax-4y+1 can be resolved into two linear factors, prove that α is the root of the equation x2+ 4ax+2a2+6=0.

please don't solve the problem
just hint is expected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sumedh said:
please don't solve the problem
just hint is expected.

Try re-arranging as (...)y2 + (...)y + C
and proceed to solve that binomial

Last edited:
then what about 3x2 and 2ax

Sumedh said:
then what about 3x2 and 2ax

They will be within the term C

You re-arrange it as:

(...)y2 + (...)y + (...)

after arranging the original eq. with respect to x
i got this (...)x2 +(...)x+c
by finding its discriminant and equating it to zero
on solving i got
α^2 y^2+a^2+2aαy =-6y^2-3+12y [α means alpha]
α^2 y^2+a^2+2aαy -9 (y-3)^2
after equating what should i do?

could you please tell me the concept for solving this?

Sumedh said:
after arranging the original eq. with respect to x
i got this (...)x2 +(...)x+c
by finding its discriminant and equating it to zero
on solving i got

...etc...

after equating what should i do?

You are headed in the right direction. :redface: So, for the original equation to have two real roots, the square root of the discriminant must exist. That means, the discriminant is factorable as the product of two identical terms. To find what these terms are, you (as always) need to solve the binomial of that discriminant. And continue ...

Now, I recommended that you re-arrange the expression as(...)y2 + (...)y + (...)

But you instead re-arranged it as (...)x2 + (...)x + (...)
which gives the discriminant as a function of y

If you do it your way, you may not end up with the function of x that the question asks you to show. You will end up with a function of y. Equally valid, but not what the question is seeking.

Last edited:
thank you very much i got it:smile:

What is a quadratic equation with two variables?

A quadratic equation with two variables is an algebraic expression that contains two variables, typically represented as x and y, and involves terms with exponents of 2. An example of a quadratic equation with two variables is x2 + 2xy + y2 = 25.

What is the problem of solving a quadratic equation with two variables?

The main problem in solving a quadratic equation with two variables is that there are infinitely many solutions. This is because there are two variables, and for every value of one variable, there can be multiple values of the other variable that satisfy the equation. Therefore, it is not possible to find a single solution for a quadratic equation with two variables.

How do you graph a quadratic equation with two variables?

To graph a quadratic equation with two variables, you can use a coordinate plane and plot points that satisfy the equation. Since there are infinitely many solutions, it is not possible to draw a single line or curve to represent the entire equation. Instead, you can plot several points and connect them to get a general idea of the shape of the equation.

Can a quadratic equation with two variables have a negative solution?

Yes, a quadratic equation with two variables can have negative solutions. This is because the values of the two variables can be positive, negative, or zero. However, it is not possible to have a negative value for both variables at the same time, as this would result in a negative number squared, which is not possible.

What are some real-world applications of quadratic equations with two variables?

Quadratic equations with two variables are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving motion, such as projectile motion and free fall. They are also used in economics to study demand and supply, and in biology to analyze population growth. Additionally, they can be used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.