Understanding and Plotting a Step Function: Expert Guidance and Tips

• Thread starter khurram usman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Plot
In summary, The given function is a step function, also known as the Greatest Integer Function (GIF). It takes the integral part of a number and returns it. The graph of this function is represented using vertical lines connecting two close numbers. Other programs, such as Microsoft Math or Mathematica, also have the ability to plot complex functions.
khurram usman
i have been given a function to plot. but i don't understand the function.
the function is:
f(t)= n when n+1>t>n>0
f(t)= 0 everywhere else

actually its a step function. i don't know how to write it here.
please explain the function to me and also help me to plot its graph

Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment shows the graph using Microsoft Maths.Step function is also known as Greatest Integer Function(GIF).In GIF you only take integral part of that number.
Ex. No. is 2.348947 Here GIF of this(also represented as [2.348947]=2 known informally as box function-same as GIF) is 2.
Ex.3.9999
[3.9999]=GIF(3.9999)=3
Ex.4=[4.0000]=GIF(4.0000)=4

Attachments

• Step.png
    Step.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 437
1994Bhaskar said:
The attachment shows the graph using Microsoft Maths.Step function is also known as Greatest Integer Function(GIF).In GIF you only take integral part of that number.
Ex. No. is 2.348947 Here GIF of this(also represented as [2.348947]=2 known informally as box function-same as GIF) is 2.
Ex.3.9999
[3.9999]=GIF(3.9999)=3
Ex.4=[4.0000]=GIF(4.0000)=4

ok i saw the graph.the graph that i had in mind was nearly the same except that i didnt have the vertical lines in mine.where did those come from. i mean the function won't be defined then.

also how can i plot functions as this or any other complex function in programs such as microsoft math or mathematica?

Those lines are just drawn for sake of our convenience, to show connection between two very close numbers.You are right they don't exist there.

You will also get such lines for Fractional Part of x ({x}).

1. How do I plot a graph?

To plot a graph, you will need to have a set of data points that you want to represent on the graph. Then, using a graphing software or tool, you can input the data and choose the type of graph you want to plot (line, bar, pie, etc.). The software will then generate the graph for you.

2. What is the purpose of plotting a graph?

The purpose of plotting a graph is to visually represent data and make it easier to understand and analyze. Graphs can show patterns, trends, and relationships between different variables in the data.

3. How do I choose the best type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you should use depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you want to show. For example, if you want to compare different categories of data, a bar graph would be best. If you want to show changes over time, a line graph would be more suitable. It is important to choose a graph that accurately represents your data and makes it easy for others to interpret.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my graph?

Yes, most graphing software or tools allow you to customize the appearance of your graph. You can change the colors, labels, font size, and other elements to make the graph more visually appealing and easier to read.

5. How can I interpret the data from a graph?

To interpret the data from a graph, you should look for patterns, trends, and relationships between the variables. You can also calculate the slope, intercept, and other mathematical values to further analyze the data. It is important to also consider the scale and units used in the graph to accurately interpret the data.