Fatigue Properties of Duplex Stainless Steel

In summary, Rodney is looking for a stress amplitude vs. cycles curve for SAF 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel. He has searched extensively but has not been able to find the data. A possible source is page 7 of the AvestaPolarit datasheet for SAF 2205, but the data is for seawater. He may want to contact AvestaPolarit or AB Sandvik Steel for more information.
bengmech
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can assist me in locating a stress amplitude vs. cycles curve (S N curve) for a Duplex Stainless Steel. The particular material I'm using is SAF 2205.

I have been searching far and wide, including the Atlas of Fatigue Curves, but I have not been able to find such data.

Your assistance would be sincerely appreciated.
Regards,
Rodney

Engineering news on Phys.org
bengmech said:
Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can assist me in locating a stress amplitude vs. cycles curve (S N curve) for a Duplex Stainless Steel. The particular material I'm using is SAF 2205.

I have been searching far and wide, including the Atlas of Fatigue Curves, but I have not been able to find such data.

Your assistance would be sincerely appreciated.
Regards,
Rodney
See page 7 - http://www.avestapolarit.com/upload/documents/technical/datasheets/AVPDuplex.pdf [Broken],
but that's in seawater.

One may wish to contact AvestaPolarit and/or AB Sandvik Steel directly for such data.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is duplex stainless steel and why is it important to study its fatigue properties?

Duplex stainless steel is a type of steel that contains a balanced microstructure of both austenite and ferrite phases. It is important to study its fatigue properties because it is commonly used in industries where high strength and corrosion resistance are necessary, such as in the construction of bridges, offshore oil platforms, and chemical processing plants. Additionally, understanding the fatigue behavior of duplex stainless steel can help improve its design and prevent potential failures that can lead to safety hazards and costly repairs.

2. How does the fatigue behavior of duplex stainless steel differ from other types of steel?

Duplex stainless steel is known for its superior fatigue resistance compared to other types of steel. This is due to its unique microstructure, which provides a balance of both toughness and strength. The ferrite phase in duplex stainless steel acts as a barrier to crack propagation, while the austenite phase provides ductility. This combination allows duplex stainless steel to resist fatigue better than other steel alloys.

3. What factors influence the fatigue properties of duplex stainless steel?

Several factors can influence the fatigue properties of duplex stainless steel, including the type and amount of alloying elements, microstructure, surface conditions, and loading conditions. Alloying elements such as chromium, molybdenum, and nitrogen can improve the fatigue resistance of duplex stainless steel, while surface defects and harsh loading conditions can decrease its fatigue strength.

4. How are fatigue properties of duplex stainless steel measured and evaluated?

The fatigue properties of duplex stainless steel are typically evaluated through fatigue tests, which involve subjecting the material to repeated loading and unloading cycles until it fails. The results of these tests are then analyzed using methods such as the stress-life approach or the strain-life approach to determine the material's fatigue strength and life expectancy under different loading conditions.

5. What are some common applications of duplex stainless steel based on its fatigue properties?

Due to its high strength and corrosion resistance, duplex stainless steel is commonly used in applications that require high fatigue resistance, such as in marine environments, chemical processing, and oil and gas production. It is also used in construction projects that require long-term durability, such as bridges, buildings, and structural components. Additionally, duplex stainless steel is often used in the medical industry for its biocompatibility and resistance to corrosion and wear.