Kinetic Energy of Two Atoms System: r=r1

In summary, the figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms in a vibrational state. At r = r1, the approximate values for kinetic energy, potential energy, and their sum are 1.1 eV, -1.3 eV, and -0.2 eV respectively. The equation U=0.5*Ks^2 can be used to find these values.
xhhux

Homework Statement

The figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms. The two-atom system is in a vibrational state indicated by the heavy solid horizontal line.

(a) At r = r1, what are the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, the potential energy U, and the quantity K+U?
K =
U = -1.3 eV
K+U =

Homework Equations

U=0.5*Ks^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't for the life of me figure out how to find K, I feel like it should be really easy, but I'm at a loss of where to start.

If anyone could give me jumping off point at least I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Attachments

• 4-55.jpg
    4-55.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 3,650
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

After taking a short break, I figured it out, and it was massively simple.
I'll post the answer here so that anyone else Googling in the future can find it.

K=1.1
U=-1.3
and K+U = -0.2

since they are inversely proportional, their sum must equal the vibration state.

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a system of two atoms at a distance of r=r1?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a system of two atoms at a distance of r=r1 is KE = 1/2 * m1 * v1^2 + 1/2 * m2 * v2^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two atoms, and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities.

2. How does the distance between the two atoms affect the kinetic energy of the system?

The distance between the two atoms, r=r1, directly affects the kinetic energy of the system. As the distance increases, the kinetic energy decreases, and as the distance decreases, the kinetic energy increases. This is because the closer the atoms are to each other, the stronger their interaction and the higher their velocities, resulting in a higher kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of the r=r1 distance in the calculation of kinetic energy?

The r=r1 distance is significant because it represents the equilibrium distance between the two atoms, where the attractive and repulsive forces are balanced. This distance is crucial in determining the kinetic energy of the system as it affects the atoms' velocities and thus their kinetic energies.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a two-atom system at r=r1 ever be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a two-atom system at r=r1 can never be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive quantity, representing the energy of motion. Even if the atoms are moving in opposite directions, their velocities and kinetic energies will still be positive values.

5. How does the mass of the atoms affect the kinetic energy of the system at r=r1?

The mass of the atoms directly affects the kinetic energy of the system at r=r1. The higher the mass, the higher the kinetic energy. This is because the formula for kinetic energy includes the mass of the atoms, and a higher mass will result in a higher kinetic energy value.