Reduction by solvated electron

In summary, when sodium metal is added to ammonia, the sodium dissolves and becomes a cation. The solution turns blue due to the presence of solvated electrons. Adding a rusty iron bar catalyst causes the reaction to produce NaNH2 and H2, resulting in a color change from blue to milky. The addition of excess NH4Cl then turns the solution brown due to the production of more NH3. When naphthalene is added to liquid NH3, the solution turns light green and then colorless due to the reduction of naphthalene by the solvated electrons and the reaction with NaNH2 and H2.
AnthonyCChem
[隱藏]
When sodium metal is added to ammonia, some of the sodium dissolves. Each of the dissolving sodium atoms loses an electron and becomes a cation. Both the cation and the free electron are solvated by ammonia molecules.

Na(s) + (x+y) NH3(l) → Na(NH3)x+(aq) + e-(NH3)y(aq) (blue)

At this stage the solution is blue because of the presence of solvated electron.
After adding a catalyst Fe III which is rusty iron bar, the reaction proceed this way

2 NH3(l) + 2 Na (s) (Fe2O3(rust) catalyst) --> 2 NaNH2 + H2

after a while the solution turn from blue to milky.
why is the color change this way? Is it because the consumption of the solvated electron? And why the above reaction write Na (s) isn't it dissolved to be (aq)? And I want to know how the Fe III catalyze the above reaction.
then excess amount of NH4Cl is added and the solution turned brown.
I know the addition of NH4Cl will produce more NH3 because
2NH3<--->NH2^- + NH4^+
Then why it is brown I don't know what is the reason for the brown.

I also want to know the reduction of aromatic compound like naphthalene in liquid ammonia.
first Na(s) is added to liquid NH3, then after it turned blue naphthalene solid (orange) is added.
the solution turn to light green and then colorless.
I propose the following explanation please tell me weather I am right.
first the Na(s) loss a electron in NH3(l) it is solvated like the above part. After the addition of naphthalene, it is reduced by the mechanism described for Birch reduction. In the course of the reduction NH2^- is produced and react with Na(s) to give NaNH2 and H2

Chemistry news on Phys.org
. Therefore the solution turn light green and then colorless due to the consumption of solvated electron and naphthalene. Is this right?

What is reduction by solvated electron?

Reduction by solvated electron is a chemical process in which a solvated electron (an electron surrounded by solvent molecules) is transferred to a molecule, resulting in a decrease in its oxidation state.

How does solvated electron reduction occur?

Solvated electron reduction occurs when a solvated electron is attracted to a molecule with a higher affinity for electrons, causing the electron to transfer from the solvent to the molecule.

What are the applications of reduction by solvated electron?

Reduction by solvated electron has various applications in industries such as chemical synthesis, environmental remediation, and energy storage. It is also used in research to study the properties of different molecules.

What are some examples of molecules that can undergo reduction by solvated electron?

Some examples of molecules that can undergo reduction by solvated electron include organic compounds, halogenated compounds, and metal ions.

How is the solvated electron produced for reduction reactions?

The solvated electron can be produced through various methods such as radiolysis, photolysis, or electrolysis. It can also be generated in situ by reducing agents such as alkali metals or metal hydrides.