Advice on learning Calculus II on my own.

In summary, a person may be able to teach themselves Calculus II if they are generally quick to grasp mathematical concepts, have a textbook, and do a lot of practice problems.
Unforgiven He
Hey everyone, I'm currently enrolled in an AP Calculus AB class at my high school. However, for Cornell Engineering I need a 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam. I've started to teach myself Calc II, but does anyone have any advice on how to succeed in doing this? I am using Paul's online math notes, my textbook and maybe an old version of Schaum's outline series (+ PR Review for quick learning). It seems pretty easy doing Para/Pol curves but I haven't started integration yet, though I already understand the basics of it.

Anyone have any insight on how to teach oneself Calc II? And also, if I succeed in doing this I would try and teach myself Calc III to test out of multivariable calc at Cornell. Is this possible in 3-4 months?

Thank you in advance.

Unforgiven Hero

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that depends entirely on you, and how much time you are willing to invest.

I would say that if you are generally quick to grasp mathematical topics, then it may be possible. Multivariable calculus may be harder if you don't know linear algebra.

As for the method, I suggest working out all the exercices you can get your hands on until you are comfortable with the subject.

Finding a tutor or another student who does the same thing can help a lot.
Explain to him how it works, where 'it' is the current topic you're studying.
Explaining to others will help you in understanding the topic better.

Video lectures are always a good place to start.Check this out:

MathTutorDVD.com

Of course you can learn it. However, I would not purely use Paul's online notes. I highly suggest an actual Calculus textbook.

id grab some exams from MIT OCW and make sure you can do them. read everything you can on integration, and start working some problems. post here in the homework section for halp.

Get a textbook and do a lot of practice problems. I just finished up Calc II and it isn't a cake-walk even with a professor. Kudos to you if you're able to pull it off!

Okay thank you so much guys. I'm finding parametric/polar equations not too hard to understand. I will soon attack the Taylor, Power and MacLaurin Series. Then Integration will be up next.

I took Calculus in High School and we covered most of the 'Calc II' topics, but my instructor highly suggested that we take the AB exam for guaranteed credit (everyone did get a 5). Calc II in college was all review for me, and made for an easier first semester. This decision was made because everyone's target colleges took the AB test for Calc I credit.

Point being... your experience will obviously be different, but maybe find an AP Calc BC prep book and see what you already know/understand? You may be closer to the BC-topics than you know. Not all high school calculus classes are created equal, and you may be only a few topics away from doing well on the BC exam.

1. What resources should I use to learn Calculus II on my own?

There are several resources available for learning Calculus II on your own, including online courses, textbooks, and video tutorials. You can also find practice problems and quizzes to test your understanding.

2. How much time should I dedicate to learning Calculus II each day?

The amount of time you should dedicate to learning Calculus II each day will depend on your individual learning style and schedule. However, it is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours each day studying and practicing problems.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in Calculus I before starting Calculus II?

Yes, it is important to have a strong understanding of Calculus I before moving on to Calculus II. Many concepts and techniques in Calculus II build upon those learned in Calculus I.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning Calculus II on my own?

One way to stay motivated while learning Calculus II on your own is to set small, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. You can also find a study partner or join an online study group for support and accountability.

5. How can I ensure that I am understanding the material correctly?

One way to ensure that you are understanding the material correctly is to regularly practice problems and check your answers. You can also seek help from online forums or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.