How to calculate theoretical initial velocity?

In summary, the formula for calculating theoretical initial velocity is V<sub>i</sub> = (V<sub>f</sub> - at) / (1/2). The variables in the formula represent initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time. The value of acceleration can be determined using the formula a = (V<sub>f</sub> - V<sub>i</sub>) / t. Consistent units should be used, such as seconds for time, meters per second for velocity, and meters per second squared for acceleration. Other factors that should be considered include air resistance, wind speed, and the angle of launch. These factors can affect the actual initial velocity and should be taken into account for a more accurate calculation
pill
I can do with just an equation, but if anyone is willing to help:
Target is 25.6 m away from canon
Initial Velocity = 16 m/s
Time = 2.6 s
Range = 26.7m
No air resistance

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the formula for calculating theoretical initial velocity?

The formula for calculating theoretical initial velocity is:

Vi = (Vf - at) / (1/2)

What do the variables in the formula stand for?

The variables in the formula represent the following:

Vi: initial velocity

Vf: final velocity

a: acceleration

t: time

How do I determine the value of acceleration (a)?

The value of acceleration can be determined by using the formula a = (Vf - Vi) / t, where Vi and Vf are the initial and final velocities respectively, and t is the time taken.

What units should I use for the variables in the formula?

The units for the variables in the formula should be consistent, for example, if the time (t) is given in seconds, then the velocity (V) should be given in meters per second (m/s) and acceleration (a) in meters per second squared (m/s2).

What other factors should I consider when calculating theoretical initial velocity?

Other factors that should be considered when calculating theoretical initial velocity include air resistance, wind speed, and the angle of launch. These factors can affect the actual initial velocity and should be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.