Binomial Distribution Probability

In summary, the engineer has a 95% chance of not finding a defective computer if he tests at least 5 computers.
lina29

Homework Statement

A quality control engineer tests the quality of produced computers. Suppose that 5% of computers have defects, and defects occur independently of each other.

A- What is the expected number of defective computers in a shipment of twenty?
B- Find the probability of exactly 3 defective computers in a shipment of twenty.
C- Find the probability that the engineer has to test at least 5 computers in order to find a defective one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A-1
B- .061 which were correct

For C I got .00257 which was wrong. I just don't understand how I'm supposed to find at least 5 when I don't know the total number since for finding .00257 I used n=20 which I guess I wasn't supposed to since I got it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lina29! :smile:
lina29 said:
Suppose that 5% of computers have defects, and defects occur independently of each other.

C- Find the probability that the engineer has to test at least 5 computers in order to find a defective one.

with questions like this, it often helps to write out the opposite, and find the probability of that

so how would you write (in english) the opposite of "the engineer has to test at least 5 computers in order to find a defective one" ? :wink:

the engineer has to test at most 4 computers in order to find a defective one

oops!

oops! :redface:

yes, that's right, i asked the wrong question :rolleyes:

i should have asked you just to rewrite the question in terms of successes, rather than failures :smile:

lina29 said:

Homework Statement

A quality control engineer tests the quality of produced computers. Suppose that 5% of computers have defects, and defects occur independently of each other.

A- What is the expected number of defective computers in a shipment of twenty?
B- Find the probability of exactly 3 defective computers in a shipment of twenty.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A-1
B- .061 which were correct

For C I got .00257 which was wrong. I just don't understand how I'm supposed to find at least 5 when I don't know the total number since for finding .00257 I used n=20 which I guess I wasn't supposed to since I got it wrong

Please show your work. Where, exactly, does the number 0.00257 come from? Without this information it is impossible to help you; we cannot tell if you used the correct formula but made an arithmetical error, or what.

RGV

using my calculator I did 1-binomcdf(20,.05,4)

I don't know how I would write it in terms of successes rather than failures

lina29 said:

so how many good ones will there be? :wink:

15? assuming that C also is also doing a shipment of 20 computers. So would I find exactly 15 successes?

lina29 said:

if he gets to the 5th computer, what happened to the first 4 ?

they were nondefective

yes! :smile:

so probability that the engineer has to test at least 5 computers in order to find a defective one = probability that the first 4 are not defective :wink:

which is … ? :smile:

(.95)^4=.81451

ok …

so isn't that the answer?​

lol I was just making sure it was the right answer before I put it in and it is :) Thanks!

1. What is binomial distribution probability?

Binomial distribution probability is a statistical concept that describes the probability of a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has a constant probability of success. It is commonly used to model the outcomes of experiments or events that have only two possible outcomes, such as heads or tails in a coin toss.

2. How is binomial distribution different from other probability distributions?

Binomial distribution differs from other probability distributions in that it only has two possible outcomes, whereas other distributions may have more than two outcomes. Additionally, binomial distribution assumes a fixed number of trials, while other distributions may not have a fixed number of trials.

3. What is the formula for calculating binomial distribution probability?

The formula for calculating binomial distribution probability is P(x) = (nCx) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial.

4. How is binomial distribution used in real life?

Binomial distribution is commonly used in real life to model and predict outcomes of events or experiments with two possible outcomes. Some examples include predicting the outcomes of elections, sports games, or medical trials.

5. What are some properties of binomial distribution?

Some properties of binomial distribution include a fixed number of trials, independent and identical trials, only two possible outcomes, and a constant probability of success for each trial. Additionally, the mean and variance of a binomial distribution can be calculated using the formula μ = np and σ^2 = np(1-p), respectively.