Recommendations for math textbooks for a physics undergrad

In summary: It's not a course that you can do in a few weeks, but it's a real gem if you're interested in going that route. I'd also recommend checking out some of the older texts like Birkhoff and Siegel. They're a little more dated, but they'll give you a great foundation in real analysis.
neutrino
I'm in the second year and was wondering about which to buy for some mathematical analysis: Apostol or Rudin?

And my second subject is linear algebra. We did have a course in the first semester, but it was just too fast to grasp. I would like a few recommendations on what to buy.

Both these books will be used for self study.

Thanks,
Navneeth

Physics news on Phys.org
Strang for Linear Algebra
Use Rudin for Analysis
Courant for Calculus (good physics applications)
Apostol Calculus is good as a 'traditional textbook'

Linear Algebra - Strongly agree with the Strang recommendation; his book is a standard. Be sure to head over to ocw.mit.edu and check out the free videotaped lectures from his linear alg. classes (course 18.06). He is a terrific lecturer. There are also plenty of homework problem sets (w/solutions) and old exams (w/solutions). Stay away from "Matrix Theory" by Leon.

Analysis - Rudin is the classic, no doubt about it. You'll want to have it for reference no matter what. For a first introduction, though, many folks have better luck with Steven Lay's book or even Zakon. Zakon offers his book for download from his page at the University of Windsor. Lay and Zakon are different from Rudin in that they "bridge the gap" between the calculation-based based courses (Calc., DiffEq. LinAlg) to classes requiring proofs. I recommend downloading Zakon's book, taking a look, and if it feels too easy, go straight into Rudin or similar.

Finally, don't underestimate Schaums guides. They will never replace a good textbook, but having a stack of solved problems (albeit with occasional mistakes) to work through can be invaluable. They are cheap and I know that they have them for Linear Algebra and Advanced Calculus (as well as about every other subject under the sun!) They are also VERY useful when the GRE subject tests roll around and you need to review.

Thank you. :smile:

Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Mary L Boas
ISBN:0471044091

This is the most diverse and CLEAR book I have ever seen. I highly recommend it.

please anybody with textbook on how to build transfomerless power inverter

Why would a physicist need a full course in real analysis based on a book like Rudin? It seems like a lot of hard work for little return. Err... whoops timestamps. :(

Frion said:
Why would a physicist need a full course in real analysis based on a book like Rudin? It seems like a lot of hard work for little return. Err... whoops timestamps. :(

Yeah, old thread, but I do agree with you. The kind of analysis that physicists need is something more like the ancient Whittaker & Watson, A Course of Modern Analysis.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a math textbook for a physics undergraduate course?

The key factors to consider when choosing a math textbook for a physics undergraduate course are the level of difficulty, the relevance to physics concepts, the clarity of explanations, the availability of practice problems, and the overall organization and structure of the textbook.

2. Are there any specific math textbooks that are recommended for physics undergraduates?

There are several math textbooks that are commonly recommended for physics undergraduates, such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K. F. Riley, M. P. Hobson, and S. J. Bence, and "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by John H. Hubbard and Barbara Burke Hubbard. However, the best textbook may vary depending on the individual needs and preferences of the student.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math before taking a physics undergraduate course?

It is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in math before taking a physics undergraduate course. This includes a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Many physics concepts rely heavily on mathematical principles, so having a strong math background will greatly benefit the student in their understanding of physics.

4. Can I use the same math textbook for all of my physics courses?

It is possible to use the same math textbook for multiple physics courses, especially if the textbook covers a wide range of mathematical topics and is relevant to the concepts being taught in the courses. However, some courses may require more specific or advanced math textbooks, so it is best to consult with the course instructor for their recommended textbook.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can supplement a math textbook for a physics undergraduate course?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplementary materials that can supplement a math textbook for a physics undergraduate course. These can include practice problems, video tutorials, interactive simulations, and study guides. It is always helpful to use a variety of resources to enhance understanding and reinforce math concepts.