Looking for a solvent for wax (paraffin)

In summary: This film can then act as a moisture and gas barrier which can inhibit the oxidation of the metal.In summary, the author is looking for a good carrying agent that will dissolve paraffin wax and evaporate quickly, but preferably one that is also free of serious health concerns. He has tried acetone, mineral spirits, naphtha, and turpentine, but none have been successful. He is considering xylene, but does not know for sure if it meets the criteria.
maximiliano
Really I'm looking for a good carrying agent that will dissolve paraffin wax, but preferably that also evaporates quickly AND doesn't come with serious health concerns. Basically, I'm trying to make a rust inhibitor using paraffin...where it can be applied and then the solvent evaporates quickly (minute or two?), leaving behind only the wax coating on the surface to which it was applied.

I've tried: acetone (didn't dissolve the wax), mineral spirits (didn't dissolve wax and slow evap rate), naphtha (didn't seem to dissolve wax...and the evaporation rate was too slow anyway), turpentine (DID dissolve wax...but the evaporation rate seems a bit slow).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can solve this one! Right now I'm kinda considering xylene, but I don't know for sure it fits the bill (fast evaporation, dissolves wax and won't make you sick).

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The short story is that paraffin wax is too crystalline to make an effective rust inhibitor on iron, and does not adequately wet the surface to make effective gas and moisture barrier. If you can find a crystal modifier and have that make your paraffin behave more like vaseline (an isoparraffin complex that remains a viscous fluid) then you might achieve the effect of wartime storage methods which involved complete immersion in "Cosmoline" a vaseline like material.

Your second aspect- i.e. looking for a more volatile solvent will have you quickly come up against flammability issues. The reason mineral spirits and turpentine are useful is precisely because they have a Flashpoint that is high enough to lessen the regulatory and safety concerns in industry.

The rust inhibiting industry makes use of fluidic surfactant -like molecules that can form a monomolecular film against moisture one end is polar enough to wet the metal or otherwise bond, and the other ends are typically alkyne that can form a liquid crystal structure.

1. What is the best solvent to use for wax (paraffin)?

The best solvent to use for wax (paraffin) depends on various factors such as the type of wax, desired properties, and intended use. Some commonly used solvents for wax include mineral spirits, turpentine, and naphtha. It is important to consider the compatibility and safety of the solvent with the wax before use.

2. Can I use water as a solvent for wax?

Water is not an effective solvent for wax (paraffin) as wax is hydrophobic and will not dissolve in water. Additionally, water can cause the wax to become cloudy or develop a white film. It is best to use a hydrocarbon-based solvent for wax instead.

3. How do I determine the right solvent to use for my wax?

The right solvent for wax can be determined by conducting a solubility test. This involves mixing a small amount of wax with different solvents and observing which one dissolves the wax the most. Additionally, considering the intended use and properties desired for the final product can help in selecting the appropriate solvent.

4. Are there any eco-friendly solvents for wax?

Yes, there are eco-friendly solvents that can be used for wax (paraffin). Some examples include citrus-based solvents, soy-based solvents, and terpenes. These solvents are derived from natural sources and are non-toxic, making them a more environmentally friendly option.

5. Can I mix different solvents when working with wax?

Yes, it is possible to mix different solvents when working with wax. This can help achieve desired properties and improve the solvency power of the solvent. However, it is important to ensure compatibility and safety when mixing solvents. It is recommended to conduct a small test batch before using the mixed solvent on a larger scale.