Answer:Hydrostatic of Oceans: Analyzing Earth's Gravity Field

In summary, the hydrostatic of oceans is the study of water distribution and its properties in the Earth's oceans, taking into account the effects of gravity and pressure. Earth's gravity field is analyzed through satellites and other instruments, and factors such as rotation, basin shape, and material distribution influence the hydrostatic of oceans. Studying this field is important for understanding climate, ocean patterns, and mitigating natural hazards. Practical applications include marine navigation, offshore engineering, and climate modeling.
Zweig
Hello,

Homework Statement

We consider the Earth as a homogenous sphere or radius [itex]R_0[/itex], rotating with angular speed of [itex]\theta' = \omega[/itex].
We work in a terrestrial reference frame (geographical reference of the terrestrial sphere whose center O is the center of the Earth and whose axes are fixed to the planet), in rotation relative to the Galilean reference frame centered at the center of the Earth and fixed axes.
We'll uuse spherical coordinates in the terrestrial reference frame.
The gravity field is considered as a centripetal field whose intensity is described by law :

[itex]g(R) = g_0\frac{R^2_0}{R^2}[/itex]

The pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure Pa at the free surface of the oceans

1) We set [itex]h = R_S - R_0[/itex] the radial distance between the free surface of oceans and the surfaceland. We set [itex]h_P[/itex] the value at the poles we'll assume known. Show that the equation of the free surface of the oceans is

[itex]g_0\frac{R_0^2}{R_0 + h} + \frac{\omega^2(R_0 + h)^2\sin^2\,\theta}{2} - g_0\frac{R_0^2}{R_0 + h_P} = 0[/itex]

2) After making a first-order Taylor expansion of the equation of the free surface, estimate [itex]\Delta h = h_E - h_P[/itex] radial distances between the equator and the poles.

2. The attempt at a solution

1) My first problem lies in the establishment of the equation. We're faced to 2 forces : g and A_e, the drive acceleration of a point on the surface of the water relative to the Galilean report. According to the fundamental hydrostatic's law :

[itex]\overrightarrow{grad}\, P=\rho\overrightarrow{g}-\rho \overrightarrow{A_{e}} \Longleftrightarrow \overrightarrow{grad}\, P=- \rho g_{0}\frac{R_{0}^{2}}{R^{2}} \overrightarrow{e_{x}}+\rho\omega^{2}R \overrightarrow{e_{r}} \Longleftrightarrow \overrightarrow{grad} \, P=-\rho g_{0}\frac{R_{0}^{2}}{R^{2}}\left(\cos\,\theta \overrightarrow{e_{r}}-\sin\,\theta \overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}\right)+ \rho \omega^{2}R\overrightarrow{e_{r}}[/itex]

Finally,

[itex]\overrightarrow{grad}\, P=\left(\rho\omega^{2}R-\rho g_{0}\frac{R_{0}^{2}}{R^{2}}\cos\,\theta\right) \overrightarrow{e_{r}}+\rho g_{0}\frac{R_{0}^{2}}{R^{2}}\sin\,\theta \overrightarrow{e_{\theta}}[/itex]

We get this system to solve :

[itex]\frac{ \partial P}{\partial R} = R\omega^2\rho - \rho \cos\,\theta g_0 \frac{R^2_0}{R^2}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{ \partial P}{\partial \theta} = \rho \sin\, \theta g_0\frac{R^2_0}{R}[/itex]

The first equation gives [itex]P(R,\theta) = \frac{R^2\omega^2\rho}{2} + \rho g_0\cos\,\theta \frac{R^2_0}{R} + C(\theta)[/itex]. Differentiating this function with respect to theta and using the second relation, I get

[itex]C'(\theta) = 2\rho g_0\frac{R^2_0}{R}(\sin\, \theta)[/itex]

Hence,

[itex]C(\theta) = -2\rho g_0\frac{R^2_0}{R}(\cos\, \theta ) + C[/itex]

Finally,

[itex]P(R,\theta) = \frac{R^2\omega^2\rho}{2} - \rho g_0\cos\,\theta \frac{R^2_0}{R} + C[/itex]

The equation of the free surface is the set of (R, theta) satisfying P = P_a? But I can not determine the constant C. More ... I find the equation of the surface quite different compared to the one given, for example, I have no sin ² with the term w ² ...

Can someone help me ?

2) I make a Taylor expansion to order 1 :

[itex]g_0R_0(1-\frac{h}{R_0}) + \frac{\omega^2R^2_0\sin^2\, \theta}{2}(1+\frac{2h}{R_0}) - g_0R_0(1-\frac{h_P}{R_0}) = 0[/itex]

After simplifications,

[itex]-g_0h + \frac{\omega^2R^2_0\sin^2\, \theta}{2} + \omega^2R_0h\sin^2\, \theta + g_0h_P = 0[/itex]

For [itex]\theta = pi/2[/itex], we get : [itex]-g_0h_E + \frac{\omega^2R^2_0}{2} + \omega^2R_0h_E + g_0h_P = 0[/itex]

Except that I have a [itex] h_E [/itex] with a product, not possible to isolate [itex] \Delta h [/itex] ... Where is my mistake?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Firstly, let me clarify that I am not an expert in the field of hydrostatics. However, I have some knowledge in physics and mathematics that may help in solving this problem.

From what I understand, the equation of the free surface of the oceans is derived from the fundamental hydrostatic law, which takes into account the forces acting on a point on the surface of the water. These forces are the gravity force and the acceleration of the point relative to the Galilean reference frame. The equation you have derived seems to be correct, but you are having trouble determining the constant C.

One way to determine the constant C is by using the boundary condition at the free surface of the oceans, which states that the pressure at the free surface is equal to the atmospheric pressure Pa. This means that at the free surface, P = Pa. Using this condition, you can find the value of C and then substitute it back into the equation to get the final equation of the free surface.

As for your second question, I believe the mistake lies in the simplification of the equation. When you substitute the value of theta = pi/2, you have simplified the equation to only have one variable h_E, when in fact there should be two variables, h_E and h_P. To solve for \Delta h, you need to have both h_E and h_P in the equation. I suggest trying to simplify the equation further and see if you can isolate both variables.

I hope this helps in your problem-solving process. Good luck!

What is the hydrostatic of oceans?

The hydrostatic of oceans refers to the study of the distribution of water and its properties in the Earth's oceans, including the effects of gravity on the ocean's surface and behavior of water under pressure.

How is Earth's gravity field analyzed in relation to the hydrostatic of oceans?

Earth's gravity field is analyzed through the use of satellites and other instruments that measure the gravitational pull of the Earth at different points. This data is then used to map out the variations in the Earth's gravity field, which can provide insights into the distribution of water and other materials in the oceans.

What are the main factors that influence the hydrostatic of oceans?

The main factors that influence the hydrostatic of oceans include the Earth's rotation, the shape and topography of the ocean basins, and the distribution of materials such as water, sediments, and nutrients within the oceans.

Why is studying the hydrostatic of oceans important?

Studying the hydrostatic of oceans is important for understanding the Earth's climate, ocean circulation patterns, and the effects of human activities on the oceans. It also plays a crucial role in predicting and mitigating natural hazards such as tsunamis and storm surges.

What are some practical applications of knowledge about the hydrostatic of oceans?

Knowledge about the hydrostatic of oceans has practical applications in various fields, including marine navigation, offshore engineering, and oil and gas exploration. It also helps in the development of weather and climate models, as well as in understanding and protecting marine ecosystems.