Why don't magnetic motors work?

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of free energy and the speaker's curiosity about why using the repulsion of magnets to generate work is not possible. The first suspicion is that it is difficult or impossible to find a configuration that produces a net torque, and the second is that even if a net torque is produced, the spinning of the magnets will generate heat and demagnetize them, causing the motor to slow down. However, the other speaker states that there is no free energy, rendering the discussion unnecessary.
dipole
THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT FREE ENERGY. I know this topic is against the rules, and I am not foolish enough to believe such a thing exists.

I just want to understand the root flaw in such a concept. I have two suspicions about why you can't use the repulsion of magnets (with no other source of input) to generate work.

The first is that its difficult (maybe impossible?) to find some configuration in which any net torque is actually produced. The second is that even if you could find some configuration in which a net torque is produced, the spinning of this wheel of magnets is going to induce currents, which generate heat, and act to demagnetize the magnets, causing your wheel to inevitably slow down.

How far off am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole said:
THIS IS NOT A POST ABOUT FREE ENERGY.

Yes it is. There is no free energy, so there is no way such a motor can work, regardless of the design. There is no need to discuss anything beyond this point.

1. Why don't magnetic motors violate the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Magnetic motors work by converting electrical energy into motion through the interaction of magnets. Therefore, they do not violate the laws of thermodynamics as they are not creating energy out of nothing.

2. Why do some people claim to have invented a working magnetic motor?

Some people may claim to have invented a working magnetic motor because they misunderstand the principles of magnetism and energy conversion. They may also be trying to deceive others for personal gain.

3. Is it possible to build a perpetual motion machine using magnets?

No, it is not possible to build a perpetual motion machine using magnets. Perpetual motion machines violate the laws of thermodynamics and have been proven to be impossible to create.

4. Can magnetic motors be used as a source of unlimited free energy?

No, magnetic motors cannot be used as a source of unlimited free energy. While they can convert electrical energy into motion, the energy source still needs to be replenished, and there are always losses in the conversion process.

5. Why do some companies claim to sell magnetic motors that can power homes?

Some companies may claim to sell magnetic motors that can power homes because they are trying to make a profit. However, these claims are not scientifically proven and often rely on false advertising or pseudoscience.