Projectile Motion(difficulty level-7)

• Thread starter XtremeChic4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, we have a football being kicked at an angle of 50 degrees and traveling 20 m before hitting the ground. The initial speed of the ball is 14.1 m/s, it is in flight for 2.2 seconds, and it rises to a height of 5.94 m. To solve this problem, we can use the equations for the x and y components of the velocity, with the final velocity in the y direction being equal to the negative of the initial velocity in the y direction. From there, we can use the relationship between the initial velocities in the x and y directions, and solve for the unknown variables (v_x, v_y, and t).
XtremeChic4
A football is kicked at an angle of 50 degrees and travels a distance of 20 m before hitting the ground.

What is the initial speed of the ball? (14.1 m/s)
How long is it in flight? (2.2 sec)
How high does it rise? (5.94 m)

I have the answers but I don't know where to go with the information that is given. If anyone could help explain this problem, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
difficulty level: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

hint:
1. the x and y components are independent.
2. write down the equation for x and y component (the final v_y is -v_y)
3. the initial V_y and V_x are related by tan(theta)
4. you have 3 eq 3 unkn (v_x,v_y,t)... solve it

alrighty..i think i understand what your saying. Thanks! I just have problems understanding how to get the velocities. Thanks again!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

Horizontal motion in projectile motion is constant and unaffected by gravity, while vertical motion is affected by the force of gravity and changes over time.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch greatly affects the range of a projectile. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it balances the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion.