English Expressions: Help Needed

In summary, some common English expressions that can be used in everyday conversations include "How are you?", "Thank you", "Excuse me", "I'm sorry", "Please", "You're welcome", "Nice to meet you", "What's up?", "I don't know", and "Could you repeat that?". To improve your understanding of English expressions, you can read books, watch movies or TV shows in English, listen to English podcasts or songs, and practice using expressions in conversations with native speakers. There are many English expressions that have multiple meanings and it's important to understand the context of an expression to determine its intended meaning. Some English expressions can also be used in formal situations, but it's important to use them
SalomeH
I apologise for choosing not so related topic, but I could'n find better one. I will have to read some math expressions in English for audience and I'm not sure how to say it. And when I ask English teacher, they don't know what it means in the first place and can't give me any advise either. Could you please help me?

Example: a2 = a squared
a×b = a cross b
a+b = a plus b etc.

These I don't know for sure how to say:
an
|r1-r2|
abf(x)dx
d2y/dx2 (second derivative?)
∂y/∂x
a/b

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. a to the (power of) n OR a to the nth
2. Absolute value of the difference of r one and r two
3. Integral from a to b of f of x dx
4. Second derivative of y with respect to x
5. Partial derivative of y with respect to x
6. a over b

Thank you very much!

Millennial said:
2. Absolute value of the difference of r one and r two

Looks like the OP intended vectors here, so I would say "modulus of r one minus r two".

(a over b)

I understand the importance of accurately communicating technical information to an audience. In this case, I would suggest seeking out a mathematics or science teacher who is familiar with these expressions and can provide accurate translations. It is important to use precise and clear language when discussing mathematical concepts, so it may be worth investing some time in finding a knowledgeable resource. Additionally, there are many online resources and dictionaries specifically for scientific and mathematical terminology that may be helpful in finding the correct translations.

1. What are some common English expressions that I can use in everyday conversations?

Some common English expressions that can be used in everyday conversations include "How are you?", "Thank you", "Excuse me", "I'm sorry", "Please", "You're welcome", "Nice to meet you", "What's up?", "I don't know", "Could you repeat that?"

2. How can I improve my understanding of English expressions?

To improve your understanding of English expressions, you can read books, watch movies or TV shows in English, listen to English podcasts or songs, and practice using expressions in conversations with native speakers. It's also helpful to learn the context and cultural meaning behind each expression.

3. Are there any common English expressions that have multiple meanings?

Yes, there are many English expressions that have multiple meanings. For example, "break a leg" can mean good luck in theater, but could also mean to actually break one's leg. "Hit the books" can mean to study, but could also mean to physically hit books. It's important to understand the context of an expression to determine its intended meaning.

4. Can I use English expressions in formal situations?

Yes, some English expressions can be used in formal situations, but it's important to use them appropriately. For example, "How are you?" is a common expression used in both casual and formal settings, but "What's up?" may be more appropriate for casual conversations.

5. How do I know when to use idiomatic expressions in English?

Idiomatic expressions are often used in informal conversations and can add personality and humor to your language. They should be used sparingly and in appropriate contexts. It's helpful to learn idiomatic expressions through exposure and practice in conversation with native speakers.