Estimating Parameters in Multivariate Regression

In summary, the conversation discussed the accuracy of a statement regarding the estimate of beta_1 in a regression model. It was found that the statement is only correct in certain circumstances and that additional terms are needed to account for correlations between the explanatory variables. The question was raised about the potential positive or zero effects of these additional terms in the general case.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_07_02_kl_11_37_49_AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was wondering whether or not, in an instance of n observations and k explanatory variables, where the following is an accurate statement:
Code_Cogs_Eqn.gif

That is, the estimate of beta_1 found by only regressing y on x_1 is equal to the the true multiple regression, beta_1_hat plus all the effects of the x_j on y (the beta_j's) times the slope estimate found by regressing x_j with j≠1 on x_1.

Apparently this is not true, and the following explanation was offered:

"[This equation] turns out to only be correct in some very specific circumstances. The problem is that we have to account for correlations between all the x's. So it's not just the correlation of x1 with x2 and the corr of x1 with x3 that matters, but also the corr of x2 with x3 will play a part. So there would have to be additional terms that allow for that. "

I'm just wondering if these additional terms with be positive if x2 and x3 are highly correlated, and zero if they are uncorrelated. Can anybody help me with understanding this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just thinking out loud here, but might it be conceivable to write the following equation for the general case:

[tex]\tilde{\beta}_1 = \hat{\beta}_1 + \Sigma_{j=2}^k (\hat{\beta}_j) \frac{\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_{1i}(x_ji - \bar{x}_j)}{\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_{1i}(x_1i - \bar{x}_1)} + \Sigma_{j=2} ^k Err[corr(x_1,x_j)][/tex]

Thus, we would have an "error term" (maybe error is the wrong word to use) that accounts for the correlation of x1 and xj. What do you guys think?

1. What is multivariate regression and why is it useful?

Multivariate regression is a statistical technique used to analyze the relationship between a dependent variable and multiple independent variables. It is useful because it allows us to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between these variables, and to predict the value of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

2. How do you estimate parameters in multivariate regression?

The most common method for estimating parameters in multivariate regression is known as ordinary least squares (OLS). This involves finding the line of best fit that minimizes the sum of squared errors between the observed data and the predicted values. This line is then used to estimate the parameters of the regression equation.

3. What is the difference between a simple regression and a multivariate regression?

In a simple regression, there is only one independent variable, while in a multivariate regression, there are multiple independent variables. This allows for a more complex analysis of the relationship between the dependent variable and the independent variables.

4. How do you interpret the coefficients in a multivariate regression?

The coefficients in a multivariate regression represent the change in the dependent variable for a one-unit increase in the corresponding independent variable, holding all other variables constant. A positive coefficient indicates a positive relationship, while a negative coefficient indicates a negative relationship.

5. What are some potential challenges when estimating parameters in multivariate regression?

Some potential challenges when estimating parameters in multivariate regression include multicollinearity, which occurs when the independent variables are highly correlated, and heteroscedasticity, which occurs when the variance of the error term is not constant across observations. These issues can affect the accuracy and reliability of the parameter estimates, so it is important to check for them and address them if necessary.