Logarithms/intro to logarithms (how did they the get solution?)

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of properties of exponents and logarithms to solve a question involving 7/2 as a solution. The inverse relationship between logarithms and exponentials is used to simplify the problem, and the notation for square roots is explained.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

o59lcj.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

24lua8i.jpg

I have no idea how they came up with 7/2 as a solution...can anyone tell me how? I am not sure how logarithms and square roots work...how did they get the 1/2 exponent over the second 2? What is the train of thought required to solve a question like this??... for example

you do this...then you do that...and using that you get 7/2...can someone explain to me? in detail how they got 7/2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your links don't work.

Try again...i re did them...and they seem to work now.

Looks like magic!

Do you know the "properties of exponents"? [itex]a^xa^y= a^{x+y}[/itex] and [itex](a^x)^y= a^{xy}[/itex]

The logarithm is the opposite of the exponential: [itex]log_a(a^x)= x[/itex] and [itex]a^{log_a(x)}= x[/itex] (the technical term is "inverse") so logarithms have the opposite properties: [itex]log_a(xy)= log_a(x)+ log_a(y)[/itex] and [itex]log_a(x^y)= y log_a(x)[/itex]

So, for example, [itex]log_3(27\sqrt{3})= log_3(3^3(3^{1/2})= log_3(3^{3+ 1/2})= log_3(3^{7/2})= 7/2[/itex]
That, as well as, [itex]log_2(8\sqrt{2})= log_2(2^3(2^{1/2})= log_2(2^{3+ 1/2})= log_2(2^{7/2})= 7/2[/itex]
are both applications of [itex]log_a(a^x)= x[/itex]. The "logarithm" and "exponential" are inverse functions so they "cancel".

supernova1203 said:
how did they get the 1/2 exponent over the second 2?

A notation that is used for square roots is to raise the number to the one-half power.

So the square root of two is equivalent to ##2^{\frac{1}{2}}##.
On a similar note, the cube root of two is equivalent to ##2^{\frac{1}{3}}##. (this isn't relevant for this problem, but I feel like it helps you understand the rule a little better.

1. What are logarithms and why are they important in science?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are used to solve exponential equations. They are important in science because they help us model and understand real-world phenomena that involve exponential growth or decay.

2. How did logarithms get their solution?

Logarithms were first introduced by the mathematician John Napier in the 16th century. He developed a table of logarithms to help with complex calculations, and later on, the concept was refined and expanded upon by other mathematicians such as Henry Briggs and Leonhard Euler.

3. What is the relationship between logarithms and exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are inverse operations of each other. This means that if you take the logarithm of a number with a certain base, you can find the exponent that was used to get that number. Similarly, if you raise a base to a certain exponent, you can find the logarithm of the resulting number.

4. How are logarithms used in scientific research and data analysis?

Logarithms are commonly used in scientific research and data analysis to transform data that follows an exponential pattern into a linear form. This makes it easier to analyze and interpret the data, as well as make predictions and comparisons.

5. Are there different types of logarithms?

Yes, there are different types of logarithms, such as common logarithms (base 10) and natural logarithms (base e). Additionally, logarithms can also have different bases, such as 2, 3, or any other number. The choice of base depends on the context and the type of problem being solved.