European Referendum: Uniting Europe?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the European Constitution is a document that aims to unify the continent and make it a superpower. It has many measures that are favorable to Spain, such as the establishment of a single currency and the strengthening of the union. Many people in Spain are against the Constitution because they believe it is against Catalonia's interests, but I believe that Europe is more important than regional interests and I will vote in favor of it.

Do you agree with the new European Constitution?

• Yes, and I am going to vote yes for the Constitution. Viva Europe!

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No, I don't agree with this Constitution. I'lll wait for one better and then I'll vote yes.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, I am not identified with the concept of Europe united.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • It doesn't matter to me. An united Europe is useless and I have more important things to think of.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We may as well having our proper referendum here. Just to know what do we think about this stuff, and seeing if Europe is as united as it seems.

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote yes. It will give a major sense of unity, and will contribute to the making of Europe as a superpower, able to compete with the USA, Japan, Russia China and the rest of the "players"

Could you provide a link so us non-Europeans can get some idea of what the content of this constitution is?

Yeah, it took me a while before i had any idea what you actually meant.

Could you provide a link so us non-Europeans can get some idea of what the content of this constitution is?

http://www.unizar.es/euroconstitucion/Home.htm

I'm from a region (Catalonia) where nationalist parties are against the Constitution, because it's against Catalonia interests, but i don't care about that. I feel european above catalan

My vote: Although I think our country, Spain, has been diminished and pushed down in this Constitution by means of the French and German virtual superiority, in spite I think that Niza settlement was better for us, in spite our president Zapatero defends the positive vote, I'm going to vote yes because I want to be proud of being European, and because we spaniards are doing the ridiculous by means of a horrible external politics enhanced by a stupid president and maybe being under the European flag all that could be buried.

Clausius2 said:
My vote: Although I think our country, Spain, has been diminished and pushed down in this Constitution by means of the French and German virtual superiority, in spite I think that Niza settlement was better for us, in spite our president Zapatero defends the positive vote, I'm going to vote yes because I want to be proud of being European, and because we spaniards are doing the ridiculous by means of a horrible external politics enhanced by a stupid president and maybe being under the European flag all that could be buried.

VIVA EUROPA,

though France and Germany will always be the boss...that is just the truth and it does not disturbe me

marlon

marlon said:
VIVA EUROPA,

though France and Germany will always be the boss...that is just the truth and it does not disturbe me

marlon

At least Belgium was aside France and Germany against USA about Iraq's War. Maybe now your prime minister will play the cards with Chirac or Schröeder, while Zapatero and Spain sweeps the floor of their bathrooms. :rofl:

Viva Europa from the north !

meteor said:
I'm from a region (Catalonia) where nationalist parties are against the Constitution, because it's against Catalonia interests

Yes, I forgot to say that is another reason for voting Yes, just because that mad people say NO.

And thanks for defining Catalonia as a "region", because lately some people like those you posted are prone to call everything as a "nation". :wink:

What do I care?
I'm Norwegian, so we're not part in EU anyways, we're only subject to their legislation with no influence upon it..:grumpy:

Belgium is all for Europe. Our prime minister (Verhofstad) was close to become president of the European comission but it turned out to be Barosso...

marlon

French leadership? Last I heard they were thinking about surrendering to North Korea.

arildno said:
What do I care?
I'm Norwegian, so we're not part in EU anyways, we're only subject to their legislation with no influence upon it..:grumpy:

You, norwegians, always live on your own, you seem a bit selfish, don't you?. You wish you never get into a war with some another country, because then, where do will be Europe? :wink: Whatever will be, will be...

Surprisingly, every European country tries to copy the way of life of countries like Norway or Sweden, our governments think you are more advanced in social stuffs. But they don't understand that an spanish /italian / french/ has roughly nothing in common with a norwegian. The day we, spaniards, will give up to look to you maybe we will advance a bit. But copying your "advanced" social measures so rapidly, will not benefit us at all.

Chronos said:
French leadership? Last I heard they were thinking about surrendering to North Korea.

North Korea...? Wasn't it Vietnam...? :uhh:

Daniel.

French leadership? Last I heard they were thinking about surrendering to North Korea

And, we can't also forget thathttp://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/politics/61672

*meteor runs and hide*

PS=It's a joke, I don't want any kind of attack from my close neighbors

Last edited by a moderator:
meteor said:
And, we can't also forget thathttp://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/politics/61672

*meteor runs and hide*

PS=It's a joke, I don't want any kind of attack from my close neighbors

:rofl: :rofl: This is an American site, right ? Them Americans almost had a French looking president... :rofl:

marlon, who lives just above France, so pity me... :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chronos said:

France is one of the true foundators of Europe. Despites their economics has not got a good health, their diplomatic power is outstanding.

"Once upon a time" when Aznar was in our government, France made the impossible to get rid of him, because they knew Spain was having an apparent increasing economic power. Now, Chirac has bought a new dog, one called Zapatero, and he is the best pet of his owner. :biggrin:

franznietzsche said:
Yeah, it took me a while before i had any idea what you actually meant.
You're not alone.

There a huge campaign going on all over Europe (especially in France, Spain and Germany) trying to educate the people about the proposed constitution, but a large majority of those polled (in the EU) yesterday (I think) still had no idea.

I believe most of Spain, however, is for the Unified Constitution.

Them Americans almost had a French looking president...
Sure? I can't fathom who are you speaking about. Kerry?

Them Americans almost had a French looking president...
Sure? I can't fathom who are you speaking about. Kerry?

Correctamundo

marlon :tongue:

Gokul43201 said:
You're not alone.

There a huge campaign going on all over Europe (especially in France, Spain and Germany) trying to educate the people about the proposed constitution, but a large majority of those polled (in the EU) yesterday (I think) still had no idea.

I believe most of Spain, however, is for the Unified Constitution.

We are the first to vote, and we'll do it on 20th February. Pay attention to this day, because if we reject the Constitution, it will be a nice disasterous day to remember, and surely the news about we have buried the Constitution will spread world wide.

Clausius2 said:
You, norwegians, always live on your own, you seem a bit selfish, don't you?. You wish you never get into a war with some another country, because then, where do will be Europe? :wink: Whatever will be, will be...

Surprisingly, every European country tries to copy the way of life of countries like Norway or Sweden, our governments think you are more advanced in social stuffs. But they don't understand that an spanish /italian / french/ has roughly nothing in common with a norwegian. The day we, spaniards, will give up to look to you maybe we will advance a bit. But copying your "advanced" social measures so rapidly, will not benefit us at all.
Quite right.
And, to set the record straight:
I'm not too sure whether Norway is such a paradise upon Earth after all..

Do what i did:
1.go to www.google.com
2.Type in the search bar:"French military victories"
3.Don't hit "Enter",just click on "I'm feeling lucky"...

"Dexter hides,too"...

Daniel.

Click on that link in the new page (yes,the one with the word slanted)...

"Dexter disappears"...

Daniel.

arildno said:
Quite right.
And, to set the record straight:
I'm not too sure whether Norway is such a paradise upon Earth after all..

I only can tell you about a friend of mine who went for holidays last summer there. The FIRST day he arrived with another five friends, someone stole their suitcases from the car. He lost all his clothes. Nice country, :tongue:

Anyway, Norway will be always one of my desired paradises to travel to.

Come here in late November, Clausius; Norway is rather unparadiasical at that time..

arildno said:
Come here in late November, Clausius; Norway is rather unparadiasical at that time..

The only paradise in Europe (at least to my knowledge) is Toscana or Switzerland (well, that is not Europe, but what the heck...). Belgium is not to bad though (especially for health care :wink: )

A place that i did not like was Bilbao...

marlon

Who has voted no?

Not me. Only around [insert number of PF members] to go! :tongue2:

And did someone already mention the parlament should in principle get more power with the constitution? That's a good thing.

Pardon the thoughts of an ignorant American.

I have always wondered why you couldn't form USE... United States of Europe... After all, each of the countries of Europe has roughly the area and population of an American state. Of course there is the problem of different languages (Just get over it and adapt English as the official language :devil: ) Looks like it is finally in the process. Congratulations and Good luck!

Integral said:
Pardon the thoughts of an ignorant American.

I have always wondered why you couldn't form USE... United States of Europe... After all, each of the countries of Europe has roughly the area and population of an American state. Of course there is the problem of different languages (Just get over it and adapt English as the official language :devil: ) Looks like it is finally in the process. Congratulations and Good luck!

The main difference with USA is that here everybody search for his proper profit. Here it doesn't exist such a feeling of union as you have in America. Europe is formed by so many different cultures and countries, and it has been a long tradition and historics of rivality between the main countries (Spain vs UK vs France vs Germany...). Also, there are different religions (although the majority of us are christians). The union you talked about is more difficult here than anywhere. If we are setting up this constitution is not for the desire to live one aside another, but for economic purposes against the dollar.

I'm going to politely ignore Integral's comment...

I hit 'yes'.
It's in our best interests, but only as far as industry and general economy go. However, I refuse to call myself 'European'. The language issue is something which is already overcome by many people on a daily basis, so is not really an issue (esperanto anyone?). The vast culture differences between european nations could serve for mutual benefit; I'd definitely welcome being allowed to bugger off for a kip every afternoon, and I'm always in favour of new additions to my "cheese of the month" routine.

I have voted no because i have absolutley no confidence in the EU. I just don't understand why the british are involved with the rest of europe. For quite a few years now we have had a huge deficit of money going out to the EU compared to money coming back to our country, why? I want to go on a HUGE rant about how the EU is bad for britain but i do not have the time to look up the information to back up any arguements. But my main objection is that as far as I am concerned its just the french and the germans trying to takeover europe.

And before anyone says it, I'm not racist I hate everybody.