Vertical Centripetal Force to push an object

In summary: This would add an extra force to the equation. In summary, the device can push a 3kg mass at 600 rpm if the masses are spinning at 600 rpm and the pivot is at an axial offset of L cos theta from the masses.
Vonnesy
I have this device, It has 3 masses 30 grams each (Red ones) the other masses are not considered. The masses are spinning at 600 rpm at that velocity this will reach maximun radius. The maximun radius the masses and reach due to the centripetal force is 15cm. Can this device push a 3kg mass at 600 rpm and if not what speed should the masses be spinning in order to push 3kg or how much must the masses be in order for them to push 3kg at 600 rpm

I tried calculating the centripetal force by taking the 3 masses as one so just considered 90 grams object.

I am kind of lost and need some guidance.

I attatched an image of what the device might look like. This is an idea I am working on and I want to find out if it could work as expected I need to use centripetar force to push and object.

Attachments

• example1.JPG
    example1.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 460
Engineering news on Phys.org
Vonnesy said:
I have this device, It has 3 masses 30 grams each (Red ones) the other masses are not considered. The masses are spinning at 600 rpm at that velocity this will reach maximun radius. The maximun radius the masses and reach due to the centripetal force is 15cm. Can this device push a 3kg mass at 600 rpm and if not what speed should the masses be spinning in order to push 3kg or how much must the masses be in order for them to push 3kg at 600 rpm

I tried calculating the centripetal force by taking the 3 masses as one so just considered 90 grams object.

I am kind of lost and need some guidance.

I attatched an image of what the device might look like. This is an idea I am working on and I want to find out if it could work as expected I need to use centripetar force to push and object.

Can you elaborate about how you are trying to convert a spinning circular motion into a pushing linear force?

Well basically the red objects have some weight and as they spin they will be pushed upwards and pushing upwards will make the bell crank turn and the green objects will push the shaft

This is what i mean.

Radial forces are an important component of the process that keeps any object traveling in a circular orbit. When a known mass (such as a ball) spins around in a circle a set distance (the radius) from the center point at a constant speed, the radial force pushes the mass out, away from the center. "http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-radial-force.htm"

It's kind of hard to understand what you're after. Do you have a desired radial velocity and want to see if the motor you are using is efficient for this speed?

Not really I am trying to push a turbine's tail to overall to "control" a yaw system. The axial force come as a result of the centripetal force on the bell crank. I have to calculate the axial force exerted at 600 rpm and see if that force can overcome the wind load on the tail

Sorry, but I can't figure out what your mechanism is supposed to do.

Can you draw two pictures to show it stationary and rotating, so we can see what moves where?

Ok so this is how it looks...

Attachments

• stationary.JPG
    stationary.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 418
  • rotating.JPG
    rotating.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 427
OK. It's like a Watt centrifugal steam engine governor, turned on its side, and presumably with some sort of "return spring" force pushing the rod to the left when it slows down again to move the weights back in.

You need to take moments about the pivot of the L-shaped bracket.
When it has rotated out through some angle ##\theta## between 0 and 90 degrees, the masses will be at a radius ##r_0 + L\sin\theta##, so you will have a radial force ##m(r_0 + L\sin\theta)\omega^2## at an axial offset ##L\cos\theta## from the pivot. This is balanced by the pushing force F at a radial offset of ##L \sin\theta##.

You will find the maximum push force when ##\theta## is somewhere between 0 and 90 degrees, depending on the relative lengths of ##r_0## (the radius to the pivot points) and ##L## (the length of the arms of the L-shaped piece).

At 90 degrees, the pushing force will be be zero.

The above ignores any friction between the arms and the end of the rod, as the arms pivot.

What is vertical centripetal force?

Vertical centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path in a vertical direction. It is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular motion.

How is vertical centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating vertical centripetal force is Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the role of vertical centripetal force in circular motion?

Vertical centripetal force is essential in circular motion as it ensures that an object maintains a constant distance from the center of the circular path and does not fly off in a tangent.

Can vertical centripetal force change the direction of an object's motion?

Yes, vertical centripetal force can change the direction of an object's motion. This force acts towards the center of the circular path and causes the object to continually change its direction, resulting in circular motion.

How does vertical centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

Vertical centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object in circular motion. However, it is responsible for changing the direction of the object's motion, which indirectly affects its speed. As the object moves in a circular path, its speed remains constant, but its velocity changes continuously due to the changing direction of motion caused by the centripetal force.