How can I detect rotary motion in CNC machines using a standard method?

In summary, the speaker is in the computer and electronics field and is working on a project that requires them to detect the status of a motor in CNC machines. They are currently using a proximity sensor but are looking for a simpler mechanical arrangement, such as a limit switch, that can detect motion and signal when the motor is running. They are also considering using a centrifugal switch as a standard method for any type of CNC machine.
vbdev
Hello everybody,

I am basically in computer & electronics field. In one of my project, I want to get the status of the motor of cnc machines (to detect whether it is running or not). Speed is not important. Presently I am using proximity sensor near the motor shaft. I get pulses when motor is running. Then I have to convert these pulses to a continuous signal.

I am looking for some simple mechanical arrangement to detect linear or rotary motion. So that a limit switch will operate when motor is running.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There must be something controlling the motor which at some stage in the controller tells the motor to run can you piggyback onto that signal.

Thanks Jobrag. Yes, such signal is available on some machines. But as my product is used with different types of CNC machines, every time I have to find such signal which is difficult.

Thats why I have decided to use a standard method which will work for any machine. I got one tip to use centrifugal switch, I will see whether it is possible or not.

Thanks Jobrag. Yes, such signal is available on some machines. But as my product is used with different types of CNC machines, every time I have to find such signal which is difficult.

Thats why I have decided to use a standard method which will work for any machine. I got one tip to use centrifugal switch, I will see whether it is possible or not.

What is rotary motion?

Rotary motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a central axis.

How is rotary motion detected?

Rotary motion can be detected using various methods such as optical encoders, magnetic sensors, and accelerometers.

What is an optical encoder?

An optical encoder is a device that uses light sensors to detect changes in position and rotation of a shaft. It works by emitting a light beam onto a rotating disk with evenly spaced lines or patterns. As the disk rotates, the light is interrupted and the changes in light intensity are measured to determine the speed and direction of rotation.

How do magnetic sensors detect rotary motion?

Magnetic sensors use magnets and Hall Effect sensors to detect changes in magnetic fields caused by the rotation of a shaft. As the shaft rotates, the magnetic field changes and is detected by the Hall Effect sensor. This information is then used to determine the speed and direction of rotation.

What are accelerometers used for in detecting rotary motion?

Accelerometers measure changes in acceleration and can be used to detect rotary motion by attaching them to a rotating object. As the object rotates, the accelerometer measures changes in acceleration, which can be used to determine the speed and direction of rotation.