Projectile Motion Lab vertical/horizontal motion?

In summary: The horizontal velocity at the moment the ball leaves the ramp is vh. The horizontal distance the ball will travel is xh.
physics447
http://www.foothillfalcons.org/ourpages/auto/2008/10/19/62799693/Rolling%20Ball%20Lab.pdf

I am doing a lab in class where we set up a ramp on a table and measured the distance the ball travels on the horizontal part of the track. We then rolled the a marble down the ramp and did trials on the time it took to travel the horizontal distance (catching the ball before it fell off the table)

I used the formula V= D/T to get speed of the ball as it rolled across the table.

How do I use kinematics equations to determine the horizontal and vertical distance from the table at which the ball will hit the floor.?

Vertical:

Vi =? d = ?
Vf = ? a = ?
t = ?
What equation should I use and how do I get the variables?

Horizontal:
Vi = 0 d = ?
Vf = ? a = -9.8 m/s^2
t= ?

If anyone could help me even a little I would appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What to you think the values for the variables are in each dimension? The values you have for the horizontal (X) dimension part are incorrect. You only need one equation to solve for one variable vertically and only need one equation to solve for one variable horizontally.
Have you studied projectiles/two dimension problems yet or is this designed to introduce the concept?

We just started this lesson. I' not sure what to do

Focus just on the horizontal dimension first. As the marble leaves the table, what is the initial velocity? What is its horizontal velocity just before it hits the floor (Vf)?

Okay, so firstly you need to calculate the velocity at which the ball is moving down the ramp.

Use v2 = u2 + 2as

Since we're talking about a falling object, 'a' turns to 'g'

After you find the velocity, you want to find the time it's going to travel from the edge of the table to the floor.

s = vit + (1/2)at2

In this case, 's' is the distance from the top of the table to the ground.

Finally, the horizontal distance it will travel is the easy part.

x = vt

And done.

Last edited:
GentlemanJay said:
Okay, so firstly you need to calculate the velocity at which the ball is moving down the ramp.

Use v2 = u2 + 2as

Since we're talking about a falling object, 'a' turns to 'g'

This is a ramp, not a free-fall situation where motion is parallel to the force of gravity. There is some trig to do to calculate 'a'.

Flipmeister said:
This is a ramp, not a free-fall situation where motion is parallel to the force of gravity. There is some trig to do to calculate 'a'.

Right, if we set up right triangle for the ramp, 'g' would be the short side. You need to use the angle at which the ramp is elevated and use sin(theta) = g/h to find 'h' as a vector of the ramp.

You don't need to do all of that. You already know how fast the ball is moving when it leaves the table from step 4 of the procedure. The ball will continue to move at this velocity in the horizontal dimension until it hits the floor. So for the horizontal dimension, there is no acceleration once the ball leaves the ramp. Show us what you think the rest of the variables equal.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in the air that is subjected to gravity and air resistance. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What is the purpose of a Projectile Motion Lab?

The purpose of a Projectile Motion Lab is to study and analyze the motion of a projectile in both the vertical and horizontal directions. This helps in understanding the concepts of gravity, air resistance, and the relationship between distance, time, and velocity.

What are the key components of a Projectile Motion Lab?

The key components of a Projectile Motion Lab include a projectile launcher, a motion sensor, a timer, and a measuring device. These tools are used to measure the initial velocity, time of flight, and the range of the projectile.

What are the equations used in a Projectile Motion Lab?

The equations used in a Projectile Motion Lab are the equations of motion, which include the formula for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be used to calculate the initial velocity, maximum height, and range of the projectile.

What are some factors that can affect the motion of a projectile?

Some factors that can affect the motion of a projectile include air resistance, wind, launch angle, and launch height. These factors can alter the trajectory and range of the projectile, making it important to control them in a lab setting to accurately analyze the motion.