Need advice on this heating system, thanks guys

In summary: It is important to choose the right materials for both layers in order for the system to work effectively. Overall, this design has the potential to work as a solar heating system, but it is recommended to consult with someone with more experience for further advice and insight. In summary, a solar heating system with an inner metal layer and an outer polymer layer with an air gap in between is possible. The materials for the layers should be chosen carefully, with the polymer layer being transparent and heat resistant, and the metal layer having a shiny surface and low conductivity. Seeking advice from someone with more experience is recommended for further guidance.
Syryanyang
I'm an engineer student and I'm trying to build such a solar heating system that it is drum with two layers, inner one is a metal (aluminium alloy I'm thinking) water container and outer layer is made of polymer, with air gap in-between. When suns come out, it radiates through the polymer and on the metal layer, heats up the water inside. The air gap severs as an insulation. Could someone with more experience give me some advice on whether this will work?
If you reckon this will work, then I will be looking for the material of the two layers
The polymer will need to be transparent, low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance and low conductivity
The metal will have to have a shinny surface that absolves solar energy but a relatively low conductivity.
Anyone that gives me any insight would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to build a solar heating system with two layers, an inner one made of metal and an outer one made of polymer. The air gap between the two layers serves as insulation, which helps maintain the heat generated from the sun. For the polymer layer, you will need to use a material that is transparent, has low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance, and low conductivity. Examples of materials for this include polycarbonate, acrylic, or polyethylene terephthalate (PET).For the metal layer, you will need to use a material that has a shinny surface that absorbs solar energy, but also has relatively low conductivity. Examples of materials for this include aluminum, copper, or stainless steel.

1. What type of heating system do you recommend?

The type of heating system that is best for you will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. Some popular options include forced air systems, radiant heating systems, and heat pumps. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the most suitable system for your home or building.

2. Is a newer or older heating system better?

The age of a heating system does not necessarily determine its quality or efficiency. A newer system may have advanced technology and be more energy efficient, but a well-maintained older system can still be effective. It is important to consider factors such as maintenance history and overall condition when deciding whether to upgrade to a newer system.

3. How often should I have my heating system inspected?

It is recommended to have your heating system inspected at least once a year, preferably before the start of the heating season. Regular maintenance can help prevent unexpected breakdowns and ensure that your system is running efficiently. However, if you notice any unusual noises or issues with your system, it is important to have it inspected by a professional immediately.

4. Can I install a heating system myself?

It is not recommended to install a heating system yourself. It is a complex and potentially dangerous process that should be done by a trained and licensed professional. Improper installation can lead to safety hazards and may also void any warranties on the system.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of my heating system?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of your heating system. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help ensure that it is running at its optimal level. Additionally, you can consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat, sealing any air leaks in your home, and properly insulating your walls and attic. These small changes can result in significant energy savings and lower heating costs.