Methods of Accurate Dynamic Mass Measurement?

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, Chris66 is seeking suggestions for methods to dynamically measure change in mass for a project. Currently, load cells have been suggested but they may not meet the required accuracy of ±0.1g for a 10kg load. The expert suggests alternative options such as strain gauges which can provide more accurate measurements at a faster rate, high-precision scales which can provide even more accurate measurements but may not meet the desired measurement rate, or a combination of load cells and strain gauges for increased accuracy and speed. These suggestions aim to assist Chris66 in their search for a suitable measurement method.
Chris66
Hi all,

As part of a project I am working on, I need a method of dynamically measuring change in mass (preferably at least 1 measurement per second). The maximum expected load is 10kg, and the measurement needs to be accurate to at least ±0.1g. So far, all that has been suggested to me is the use of load cells, but from what I have seen online, the best accuracy obtainable is more or less 0.02% of maximum capacity (±2g for a cell with a 10kg maximum capacity).

I am not looking for a solution, only hoping that people can suggest more options for me to investigate further. Precision measurement is an area in which I have no experience, any comments would help.

Thanks, Chris66

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Chris66,

Thank you for reaching out for suggestions on methods for dynamically measuring change in mass. As you mentioned, load cells are commonly used for this purpose and can provide accurate measurements within a certain range. However, there are other options that you may want to consider for your project.

One alternative to load cells is the use of strain gauges. These devices measure the strain, or deformation, of an object under load and can be used to calculate the change in mass. They can provide accurate measurements within a range of ±0.01% of the maximum capacity, which would meet your requirement of ±0.1g for a 10kg load. Strain gauges can also provide measurements at a faster rate, up to 1000 measurements per second.

Another option is to use a high-precision scale. These scales can provide accurate measurements within a range of ±0.001% of the maximum capacity, which would meet your requirement for ±0.1g for a 10kg load. However, these scales may not be able to provide measurements at a rate of 1 per second, so it would depend on the specific model you choose.

Alternatively, you may want to consider using a combination of load cells and strain gauges. By using both of these methods, you can increase the accuracy and speed of your measurements. Load cells can provide a baseline measurement, while strain gauges can capture more precise changes in mass over time.

I hope these suggestions provide some helpful options for your project. Best of luck with your research!

1. How is dynamic mass measured accurately?

Dynamic mass is typically measured using a device called a dynamometer, which applies a known force to an object and measures the resulting acceleration. The mass can then be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).

2. What types of objects can be accurately measured using dynamic mass measurement methods?

Dynamic mass measurement methods can be used to accurately measure the mass of any object that can be accelerated by a known force. This includes both stationary objects and objects in motion.

3. Are there any limitations to dynamic mass measurement methods?

Dynamic mass measurement methods may be limited by factors such as the sensitivity and accuracy of the dynamometer, external forces acting on the object, and the object's shape and size. Additionally, these methods may not be suitable for measuring extremely small or large masses.

4. How do environmental factors affect dynamic mass measurement?

Environmental factors, such as temperature and air resistance, can affect the accuracy of dynamic mass measurement. These factors should be taken into consideration and controlled for in order to obtain the most accurate results.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring mass besides dynamic mass measurement?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for measuring mass, including static mass measurement using a balance or scale, and gravitational mass measurement using a pendulum or spring scale. Each method may have its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method should be selected based on the specific needs of the experiment or application.