Constant velocity joints vs. universal joint.

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an actuation system for power transmission through a motor. The options of using a u joint or a velocity joint are considered, with a concern for the predefined load on the shaft. Another potential option of using a hub motor is mentioned, but its ability to withstand shocks and bending stresses is uncertain. The range of motion for the application is noted as being large, which may affect the effectiveness and longevity of a universal joint compared to a CV joint. More information is needed to determine the best solution.
hover guy
i have to design an actuation system which will change the angle with which the power is transmitted through a motor,the range of angle is about,--35 to +35,w.r.t to the vertical,what should i use,a u joint or a velocity joint?there is a predefined load on the shaft(bending + torsional),what should i use?
i have on other option to use a hub motor to deliver power,that will eliminate most of the complexities,but i am not sure whether a hub motor is capable of withstanding minor shocks,and bending stresses.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not a Mechanical Engineer but I think you would need to specify a few values before you can expect an answer. So far the answer must be "It depends", I think.

The range of motion for your application is pretty large. Universal joints are best used when the range of motion is only a few degrees; with larger angles, they can freeze up and they will experience higher wear and shorter life than a comparable CV joint.

What is the difference between a constant velocity joint and a universal joint?

A constant velocity joint (CV joint) is a type of joint used in vehicles to transfer torque at a constant speed while allowing for changes in angle, whereas a universal joint (U-joint) is used to transfer torque between two shafts at an angle.

Which type of joint is more commonly used in vehicles?

CV joints are more commonly used in vehicles because they provide smoother power transfer and require less maintenance compared to U-joints.

What are the advantages of using a constant velocity joint?

CV joints allow for smoother and more efficient power transfer, reducing wear and tear on other components of the vehicle. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to U-joints.

In what situations would a universal joint be preferred over a constant velocity joint?

U-joints are preferred in situations where there is a need for a higher torque capacity and more flexibility in changing angles, such as in heavy-duty vehicles or off-road vehicles.

What are the potential drawbacks of using a constant velocity joint?

One potential drawback of using a CV joint is the higher cost compared to U-joints. They also have a limited angle range and may not be suitable for certain applications that require extreme angles. Additionally, they may be more difficult to replace if they wear out or fail.