3D Transport and Adsorption model on Comsol

In summary, the conversation is about designing a simple model using Comsol Multiphysics. The speaker has set an inlet concentration for a species and is experiencing issues with the concentration values when certain sections are enabled. They have tried different meshes and solvers, but have been unable to resolve the issue for two months. A suggestion is made to check against a reference model, but the speaker has already done so with no success. They are seeking further suggestions for a solution.
El Pachon
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to design a simple model by using Comsol Multiphysics. I set an inlet concentration of a species "cp" that will be adsorbed to a circular surface located at the center of the microfluidic cell (I named the concentration of adsorbed protein "cpl" ). I used laminar flow, transport of diluted species and surface reaction nodes.

When I run the simulation with the Surface Reaction node and the Flux section of the Transport of Diluted Species disabled, I get logical values for cp. When I run the simulation with all the sections enabled, the concentrations of cp at the 5 probes I created no longer make much sense and I get a decrease of the cp concentration on the left probe ( red line in Proble Plot 3) at, approximately, 35 seconds of simulation. This will obviously affect my cpl concentration (Probe Plot 8).

I've tried different meshes and different solvers and I have no idea why this is happening, have been stuck with this problem for two months now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: It won't let me attach the file so I posted the link to where it is, if that's not ok I'll delete it. http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/33120/

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Niklas,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I've done that already, I've also compared my model with another one called transport and adsorption, which is a similar model in 2D but I've had no success.

Would you have any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

1. What is a 3D Transport and Adsorption model on Comsol?

A 3D Transport and Adsorption model on Comsol is a computational model that simulates the transport and adsorption of a substance in a three-dimensional space. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of substances in various environments, such as in porous materials, biological tissues, or chemical reactors.

2. How does the model work?

The model uses mathematical equations and numerical methods to simulate the movement and interaction of substances in a 3D space. It takes into account factors such as diffusion, advection, and adsorption/desorption processes to accurately predict the behavior of the substance.

3. What are the applications of a 3D Transport and Adsorption model on Comsol?

This model has a wide range of applications in many fields, including environmental engineering, biotechnology, chemical engineering, and materials science. It can be used to study the transport and fate of pollutants in the environment, the delivery of drugs in the body, and the performance of catalytic reactors, among others.

4. How accurate are the results from the model?

The accuracy of the results depends on the input parameters and the complexity of the model. With proper calibration and validation, the model can provide highly accurate predictions of the transport and adsorption behavior of the substance.

5. Can the model be customized for different scenarios?

Yes, the model can be customized for different scenarios by adjusting the input parameters and boundary conditions. Comsol also offers a variety of built-in features and tools that allow for the creation of complex and specific models to suit different research or industrial needs.