2 dimensional chiral boson theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an analog for the chiral field in 2 dimensions based on the paper "Covariant Action for a D=11 Five-Brane with the Chiral Field." The chiral boson in 2D is introduced and its Lagrangian is discussed. There is also a relativistic version, but it is behind a paywall. The chiral boson is a constrained system and has potential issues with gauge invariance and infrared divergence. The individual is seeking advice on how to modify the action when transitioning from a 5-brane to a string.
rbwang1225
I am reading the paper "Covariant Action for a D=11 Five-Brane with the Chiral Field" and want to make an analog for the chiral field in 2 dimensions.
But I don't know at the starting point, for if I take the local coordinates of the worldvolume to be ##x^m (m=0,1)##, the dual field strength ##F_{mnl}## will be zero and the action ##S## becomes ##S=\int d^2x\sqrt{-g}##.
Could anyone give me some advices?

Best Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
The chiral boson in 2D was introduced e.g. by Floreanini and Jackiw (see here: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v59/i17/p1873_1 ). In particular eq. 20 is the Lagrangian of the 2D chiral boson.

There is also a relativistic version I believe (or, at least, a more covoriant notation), which is I believe due to Siegel. I'm not sure, but I think he treats it in this paper:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/055032138490453X

but I can't access it, because of the paywall...

Now, keep in mind that the chiral boson is plagued by a lot of subtleties. It's a constrained system, which requires constrained quantization to turn it into a quantum theory. The theory may or may not have gauge invariance, depending on the boundary conditions. Finally, the theory has an annoying infrared divergence, which needs to be regularized using either a finite system size or the introduction of a mass term.

Dear xepma:

Sorry for the late reply.
I just wander how the action in the paper changes when I go from a 5-brane to a string?
Could you give me some idea?Ren-Bo

What is 2 dimensional chiral boson theory?

2 dimensional chiral boson theory is a field theory that describes the dynamics of a two-dimensional massless boson field, which is a type of particle with integer spin. It is a simplified and idealized version of quantum field theory that is often used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of particles and their interactions.

What is the significance of studying 2 dimensional chiral boson theory?

Studying 2 dimensional chiral boson theory allows us to better understand the fundamental principles and symmetries of quantum field theory. It also has many applications in condensed matter physics and string theory, and can provide insights into the behavior of real-world systems.

How is 2 dimensional chiral boson theory different from other field theories?

2 dimensional chiral boson theory is different from other field theories in that it only describes the dynamics of a single type of particle, the massless boson. It also has specific symmetries and constraints that are unique to this theory.

What are some possible extensions or modifications to 2 dimensional chiral boson theory?

Some possible extensions or modifications to 2 dimensional chiral boson theory include adding interactions between particles, studying the effects of a non-zero mass for the boson, or incorporating supersymmetry. These extensions can provide a more complete understanding of the theory and its applications.

What are some real-world applications of 2 dimensional chiral boson theory?

2 dimensional chiral boson theory has many applications in condensed matter physics, such as describing the behavior of quantum Hall systems and topological insulators. It also has applications in string theory, where it can be used to study the dynamics of strings in certain backgrounds.