Circuit drawing mostly constant current

In summary: One question worth asking is whether the interference you are getting is really external magnetic or is it getting down the supply to your sensor? Perhaps a separate regulator for the sensor could help.
daudaudaudau
Hello. I have an integrated circuit that draws current in pulses. The pulses have a duration of about 0.5 ms and a period of 2 ms. I need to make a circuit to put in front of this IC that will smoothen out these current pulses. One option is just to use a resistor and a capacitor. When the IC needs current it will draw it from the capacitor and the capacitor is then recharged through the resistor. But I was wondering if there are better solutions out there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, a capacitor is best, that is why some chips have capacitors across their power rails and physically adjacent on the board. Something about 100μ is usual.

daudaudaudau said:
Hello. I have an integrated circuit that draws current in pulses. The pulses have a duration of about 0.5 ms and a period of 2 ms. I need to make a circuit to put in front of this IC that will smoothen out these current pulses.
There are a number of ways to go about it. Please explain why you need to.

NascentOxygen said:
There are a number of ways to go about it. Please explain why you need to.

I need it because the sharp current peaks (dI/dt) are creating magnetic fields which are inducing noise in a magnetic field sensor I have.

Then follow Studiot's advice on installing extra filter capacitance close to the IC and use short leads. If space allows, use a selection of capacitors in parallel, e.g., 47uF, 0.47uF, and 0.022uF to minimize parasitics.
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed; keep any leads which are downstream of your filter really as short as you can and possibly even twist them together to reduce external magnetic fields. The filter could be made better if there's a series inductor included, too.

One question worth asking is whether the interference you are getting is really external magnetic or is it getting down the supply to your sensor? Perhaps a separate regulator for the sensor could help.

1. What is a constant current circuit?

A constant current circuit is an electrical circuit that maintains a constant flow of current regardless of changes in the circuit's voltage. This is achieved by using specialized components, such as current regulators or constant current diodes, to regulate the flow of electricity.

2. Why would I need a constant current circuit?

Constant current circuits are commonly used in applications where a steady and precise flow of current is required, such as in LED lighting, battery charging, and electronic testing equipment. They can also be used to protect sensitive components from damage due to fluctuations in current.

3. How do I create a constant current circuit?

There are several ways to create a constant current circuit, depending on your specific needs and the components available. One common method is to use a voltage regulator in combination with a resistor to set the desired current level. Another option is to use a constant current source, such as a transistor or operational amplifier, to regulate the current flow.

4. What are the advantages of a constant current circuit?

One of the main advantages of a constant current circuit is its ability to maintain a steady flow of current even in the face of changing voltage or load conditions. This makes it ideal for applications where precision and stability are important. Constant current circuits can also help prolong the lifespan of electronic components by preventing them from being overloaded.

5. Are there any limitations to using a constant current circuit?

While constant current circuits have many benefits, they also have some limitations. They can be more complex and expensive to design and implement compared to other types of circuits. Additionally, they may not be suitable for applications where varying current levels are necessary, such as in audio amplifiers. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs of your circuit before deciding to use a constant current circuit.