How circuit breaker electrical system clears ground faults.

In summary: I see. If a ground fault occurs at the transformer, then no the CB will not trip. However, the ground fault will trip the CB or fuse ( Not shown in your picture) that protects the primary winding of the transformer.So the primary winding's fuses open. Okay I see. Now, what if I got rid of the green wire that electrically bonds the transformer enclosure to the disconnect panel. And then I bond the transformer enclosure to the X0. Would that not produce the same protection, same result?No, it would not. The bond between the transformer enclosure and X0 would not create a circuit. No, it would not.
newbie2231
Hi I am taking generals now but I will eventually take EE degree. I am studying electrical systems now. Can somebody help me on system configuration regarding circuit breakers clearing ground faults?

In this picture (the bottom figure), if X2 faults at the transformer, would the fault current ever trip the breaker? I know that it should but I just don't see how. The fault by X2 in the picture will travel through a bonding jumper (the short green horizontal piece between the transformer and the disconnect panel), then to the disconnect, then eventually to the X0 of the transformer. The current will cycle like that but will not travel through the breaker. From reading the web page where this picture came from, I know the bonding jumper will make the breaker trip when the X2 faults at the transformer. But I just don't see how. Any help is appreciated.
250-30A102web.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
newbie2231 said:
Hi I am taking generals now but I will eventually take EE degree. I am studying electrical systems now. Can somebody help me on system configuration regarding circuit breakers clearing ground faults?

In this picture (the bottom figure), if X2 faults at the transformer, would the fault current ever trip the breaker? I know that it should but I just don't see how. The fault by X2 in the picture will travel through a bonding jumper (the short green horizontal piece between the transformer and the disconnect panel), then to the disconnect, then eventually to the X0 of the transformer. The current will cycle like that but will not travel through the breaker. From reading the web page where this picture came from, I know the bonding jumper will make the breaker trip when the X2 faults at the transformer. But I just don't see how. Any help is appreciated.
250-30A102web.jpg

The fault current DOES go through the CB. The current will go from the X2 terminal to the CB, to the load, to the ground wire and then back to the center tap of the transfromer. This completes the circuit.

david90 said:
The fault current DOES go through the CB. The current will go from the X2 terminal to the CB, to the load, to the ground wire and then back to the center tap of the transfromer. This completes the circuit.

Why does the fault current take the path that has the load resistance when another path with virtually no resistance now became available?

newbie2231 said:
Why does the fault current take the path that has the load resistance when another path with virtually no resistance now became available?

I'm not sure what you mean. Under normal condition, current flows through the load (represented by the resistor symbol). Under a ground fault condition, current flows through the ground wire. In the picture below, I drew the path of the ground fault current. Very very little current will flow through the load during a ground fault because the ground wire has almost no resistance.

250-30A102web_zps43453f54.jpg

david90 said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Under normal condition, current flows through the load (represented by the resistor symbol). Under a ground fault condition, current flows through the ground wire. In the picture below, I drew the path of the ground fault current. Very very little current will flow through the load during a ground fault because the ground wire has almost no resistance.

250-30A102web_zps43453f54.jpg

My apologies. I used the picture for describing the involved equipments but not for the situation illustrated in the picture. In my situation, the fault happens not at the load, but at the transformer enclosure.

In my situation, the fault happens not at the load, but at the transformer enclosure.

So the pictures don't go with the question in first post?
if X2 faults at the transformer,

Circuit breakers protect downstream equipment...

Dave90 did a good job with the pictures given.

newbie2231 said:
My apologies. I used the picture for describing the involved equipments but not for the situation illustrated in the picture. In my situation, the fault happens not at the load, but at the transformer enclosure.

I see. If a ground fault occurs at the transformer, then no the CB will not trip. However, the ground fault will trip the CB or fuse ( Not shown in your picture) that protects the primary winding of the transformer.

So the primary winding's fuses open. Okay I see. Now, what if I got rid of the green wire that electrically bonds the transformer enclosure to the disconnect panel. And then I bond the transformer enclosure to the X0. Would that not produce the same protection, same result?

What is a ground fault?

A ground fault occurs when an electrical current unintentionally flows into the ground instead of following its intended path. This can happen due to damaged wiring or faulty equipment.

How does a circuit breaker detect a ground fault?

A circuit breaker has a built-in sensor that monitors the flow of electricity. If it detects an imbalance in the current, it will trip and shut off the flow of electricity to prevent damage or danger.

What happens when a circuit breaker trips due to a ground fault?

When a circuit breaker trips due to a ground fault, it interrupts the flow of electricity and prevents further damage. The breaker must be manually reset before electricity can flow again.

Can a ground fault be dangerous?

Yes, a ground fault can be dangerous because it can lead to electrical fires and shock hazards. It is important to address ground faults promptly to prevent potential hazards.

How can a ground fault be prevented?

Ground faults can be prevented by regularly inspecting and maintaining electrical systems, using ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in areas where water may be present, and avoiding overloading circuits.