Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action

In summary, Feynman discusses the electrodynamic action between particles in his Nobel lecture, and mentions that it can be expressed in both 4-vector and 3-vector forms. He asks for someone to re-express it for a pair of particles in 3-vector form, noting that the Darwin Lagrangian is based on a universal time while the Feynman action uses proper time for each particle. The resulting action for the Darwin Lagrangian is a double integral over two trajectories, while the Feynman action uses just coordinates and velocities at a common time.
johne1618
In his Nobel lecture Feynman describes an electrodynamic action between a set of particles (equation 1, one third way thru lecture):

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1965/feynman-lecture.html

The action is in 4-vector form.

I wonder if someone could do me a favour and re-express the action just for a pair of particles in 3-vector form?

I presume the action is related to the Darwin Lagrangian. The main difference between them is that in the Feynman action each particle has its own proper time whereas the Darwin lagrangian is expressed in a universal time.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it should be easy if you just replace [itex]X^i[/itex] by [itex](ct_i,\mathbf r_i)[/itex] in the integral and play a little with the formula. However, the resulting action will contain double integral over two trajectories, while the action for the Darwin Lagrangian is just an integral of certain function over coordinate time. The motions described by the two are quite different in general; the motion due to the action with Darwin Lagrangian can be thought of as best approximation to the motion implied by the Feynman action, possible with action that uses just coordinates and velocities at common time.

1. What is Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action?

Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action, also known as the Feynman Path Integral, is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Richard Feynman to describe the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.

2. How is Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action used in physics?

Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for particles to travel between two points in space and time. It is an important tool in quantum field theory and is used to study a variety of physical phenomena, including particle interactions and quantum tunneling.

3. What is the significance of Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action?

Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action revolutionized the field of theoretical physics by providing a more intuitive and elegant approach to calculating quantum mechanical effects. It has been used to make predictions that have been confirmed by experiments and has been crucial in the development of modern theories, such as quantum electrodynamics.

4. How does Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action differ from other mathematical approaches?

Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action differs from other approaches, such as the Schrödinger equation, by taking into account all possible paths a particle can take between two points, rather than just the most probable path. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some potential applications of Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action?

Feynman's Nobel classical electrodynamics action has a wide range of applications in both theoretical and experimental physics. It has been used to study the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators, the behavior of atoms and molecules, and the interactions between particles and fields. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.