Is spin one still possible for the Higgs?

• Thread starter John le Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs Spin
In summary, there has been recent discussion about the possibility of the particle observed at 125 GeV having spin-1, despite previous reports ruling it out. A paper by John P. Ralston argues that spin-1 should be considered as a valid option based on Lorentz invariance and the limitations of the Landau-Yang Theorem. This paper suggests that upcoming data should be analyzed with an unbiased consideration of spin-1, as it could provide a better explanation for both the resonance structure and decay patterns observed. However, others still hold to the belief that the particle at 125 GeV must be spin-0, as the Landau-Yang Theorem has been reliable in the past. Further analysis and data
John le Roy
I seem remember hearing that spin-1 was ruled out but since reading this paper I am unable to find any info on spin-1 Higgs. Has there been any further developments on this? Honestly, I am not a particle guy so I'm not sure on the details... can someone explain why Higgs' particle has to have spin zero?

The Need to Fairly Confront Spin-1 for the New Higgs-like Particle
http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.2288
John P. Ralston

Spin-1 was ruled out early in LHC reports of a new particle with mass near 125 GeV. Actually the spin-1 possibility was dismissed on false premises, and remains open. Model-independent classification based on Lorentz invariance permits nearly two dozen independent amplitudes for spin-1 to two vector particles, of which two remain with on-shell photons. The Landau-Yang theorems are inadequate to eliminate spin-1. Theoretical prejudice to close the gaps is unreliable, and a fair consideration based on experiment is needed. A spin-1 field can produce the resonance structure observed in invariant mass distributions, and also produce the same angular distribution of photons and $ZZ$ decays as spin-0. However spin-0 cannot produce the variety of distributions made by spin-1. The Higgs-like pattern of decay also cannot rule out spin-1 without more analysis. Upcoming data will add information, which should be analyzed giving spin-1 full and unbiased consideration that has not appeared before.

Physics news on Phys.org
I expect new spin analyses presented at Moriond.

I cannot follow the argument given in the arXiv paper there, so I have no idea how convincing the decay to two photons is in that respect. I would be surprised if you get roughly the SM expectation for signal strength if both spin and the decay mechanism are completely different from the SM Higgs.

Last edited:
Ralston doesn't believe in the Landau-Yang Theorem, which says a spin 1 particle can't decay into two photons. Generally, I'd have to say the odds favor Landau and Yang. :wink:

Spin is a 3-dimensional concept, and proofs of the Landau-Yang Theorem use 3-vector arguments. Ralston constructs his interaction vertex out of 4-vectors, and he may be forgetting that a 4-vector contains both spin 1 and spin 0.

EDIT: Should point out that this refers to "the LHC's particle at 125 GeV." If it turns out to have spin 1 it would not be the Higgs, rather something else.

Last edited:

1. What is spin one?

Spin one refers to a quantum mechanical property of particles that determines their intrinsic angular momentum. It is measured in units of the reduced Planck constant and can have integer or half-integer values.

2. Is spin one still possible for the Higgs?

Yes, spin one is still a possible option for the Higgs boson. However, the currently accepted theory suggests that the Higgs boson has a spin of zero, which has been experimentally confirmed.

3. Why is spin one important for the Higgs?

Spin one is important for understanding the fundamental properties of particles, including the Higgs boson. It helps determine how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different environments.

4. Can the spin of the Higgs change?

No, the spin of a particle is an intrinsic property that does not change. The Higgs boson has been observed with a consistent spin value of zero, indicating that it does not change.

5. What are the implications if the Higgs had a spin of one?

If the Higgs boson had a spin of one, it would have different properties and interactions with other particles compared to its currently accepted spin of zero. This could potentially change our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of particles in the universe.