Why the Casimir operator is proportional to the unit matrix ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the Casimir operator on page 500 of Chapter 15 in Peskin Shroeder. The author explains that T^2 is an invariant of the algebra and concludes that it is proportional to the unit matrix. The question asks for a proof and the conversation concludes with the mention of Schur's lemma, which states that if an element of the algebra commutes with every element, it must be proportional to the identity. The conversation ends with gratitude for the explanation of the lemma.
Wonchu
Hello,
now I'm reading Peskin Shroeder.
I have a question about the Casimir operator on page 500 in Chapter 15.

From the following eq,
## \ \ \ [T^b , T^a T^a ] = 0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (15.91) ##
## T^2(=T^a T^a) ## is an invariant of the algebra.
Thus the author concludes that ##T^2## is proportional to the unit matrix.
Why is that ?
How to prove it ?

Please Anybody,help me !
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is called Schur's lemma. Look for it. If an element of the algebra commutes with every element it must be the proportional to the identity (as this is the unique element which has this property).

Now that you say that,
I recollect I also have heard about that lemma.
Now I can relate to.

Thanks a lot !

1. What is the Casimir operator?

The Casimir operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to characterize the symmetries of a system. It is often used to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of a system.

2. Why is the Casimir operator important?

The Casimir operator is important because it helps us understand the symmetries of a system, which can give us valuable information about its properties and behavior. It is also used in many physical theories, such as quantum field theory and particle physics.

3. How is the Casimir operator related to the unit matrix?

The Casimir operator is proportional to the unit matrix because they both represent the identity element of a group. In other words, the Casimir operator and the unit matrix both represent the absence of any symmetry breaking in a system.

4. Can you provide an example of how the Casimir operator is used in physics?

One example of the use of the Casimir operator in physics is in the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED). In this theory, the Casimir operator is used to construct a gauge-invariant quantity called the electric charge, which is a fundamental property of particles.

5. How does the Casimir operator relate to symmetry breaking?

The Casimir operator is related to symmetry breaking because it is used to identify the symmetries present in a system. If the Casimir operator is proportional to the unit matrix, it indicates that there is no symmetry breaking present. However, if the Casimir operator is not proportional to the unit matrix, it suggests that symmetry breaking has occurred in the system.