Understanding the G- and C-parity of the pi^0 decay

• Thread starter copernicus1
  • Start date
In summary, the pi^0 decays to two photons with a C-parity of +1 and an isospin ket of |1,0>. However, its G-parity is -1, which is difficult to understand due to the rotation around the I_2 axis. This is because although the isospin ket remains in the x-y plane after a 180 degree rotation, the G-parity is different from the C-parity. This is expected for an isovector, as under a 180 degree rotation, I1 → -I1, I2 → I2, and I3 → -I3, causing a change in sign for the spherical basis components of π+. π-, and π0
copernicus1
Since the pi^0 decays to two photons its C-parity is +1, but its isospin ket is $$|1,0\rangle,$$ which makes it a little tricky to understand why its G-parity is -1. Does the rotation around the I_2 axis somehow generate a minus sign? This seems odd since the isospin ket points into the x-y plane, so it seems the rotation by pi wouldn't affect it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look right. It's |1,0>.

Vanadium 50 said:
That doesn't look right. It's |1,0>.

You're right that was just a mistake; I fixed it. This is what makes the rotation in isospin space hard to understand. Initially it's pointing into the x-y plane, and after a 180 degree rotation it's still into the x-y plane, but somehow the G-parity is different from the C-parity.

Isn't this what you'd expect for an isovector? Under a 180° rotation about the I2 axis, I1 → - I1, I2 → I2, I3 → -I3. And in the spherical basis, π+ and π- are linear combinations of I1 and I2, and π0 is the I3 component, so it changes sign.

1. What is G-parity of the pi^0?

The G-parity of the pi^0 is a quantum number that describes the symmetry of the particle's wave function under the exchange of two identical particles. It is related to the strong interaction and is conserved in strong interactions.

2. What is C-parity of the pi^0?

The C-parity of the pi^0 is a quantum number that describes the symmetry of the particle's wave function under charge conjugation, which is the transformation of a particle into its antiparticle. It is conserved in electromagnetic and strong interactions, but not in weak interactions.

3. How are G-parity and C-parity related to each other?

G-parity and C-parity are related to each other through the G-parity operator, which is the product of the charge conjugation operator and the intrinsic parity operator. This relationship allows for the conservation of both G-parity and C-parity in strong interactions.

4. How do we determine the G-parity and C-parity of the pi^0?

The G-parity and C-parity of the pi^0 can be determined experimentally through the analysis of the particle's decay products. The conservation of these quantum numbers in the decay process can provide insight into the underlying symmetries of the particle.

5. Why are G-parity and C-parity important in the study of particle physics?

G-parity and C-parity are important in the study of particle physics because they provide insight into the fundamental symmetries of the universe. Their conservation in certain interactions can help us understand the underlying laws of nature and the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.