Stressed Over School? 3.759 GPA, Top 20 Rank - Help Me Decide!

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
In summary, don't stress about your GPA. Just focus on doing well in your classes and you'll be fine.
misskitty
My school is scheduling for next year. I'm going to be a senior. Scary. After fixing some problems with my transcript (people messed up my grades and credits and such), I began putting together my schedule.

I mostly have "A"s and a few "B"s and a couple of "C"s (physics and geometry). I'm really nervous about how my transcripts will look to some of the schools I am applying to. Some of them are Northeastern, MIT, University of Maine, and some others out of a total of 14 schools, some of which are music. I understand why I have "C"s in physics, its because of an extinuating health problem which prevents me from attending school everyday and we readapted my schedule to make it easier for me to attend.

Even with all these things going on, I have a GPA of 3.759 and a class rank of top 20. I can't help but feel like its not a good GPA at all. I feel ashamed that my GPA is only a 3.759. Am I stressing about something I should be proud of and happy with? Id having a 3.759 a good GPA? Do I have any hope of getting into these schools? Or should I just squish all my hopes? Please help out I really don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
only time will tell my friend, only time will tell. For now, don't stress.

Regards,

Nenad

don't stress about it. just be sure to apply to a good range of schools. One thing I've learned after going to school twice (currently right now) is that you get out of a school what you put into it. So big names don't really matter for your enrichment.

What if you put your all into it? How do you negate the frustration? I put in my damnedest into my education, especially having to teach myself advanced algebra and cp physics? Can that be considered a good GPA considering my situation? When this happened I feel like I got seriously shafted!

Thanks Nenad.

Ask yourself this: Is there is anything at all in the world that you can do about it right now? If the answer is no, or, yes but I'm not doing that, then there is absolutely no point in wasting any effort whatsoever in worrying about it.

I had to drop diff EQ this morning. I still don't understand how I could have done every homework problem since day one and understood every homework problem since day one, and somehow, I still got 50%, 65%, and 45% on the first 3 tests. 28 student started this class, 16 took the most recent test, of those 16, 8 failed. I can honestly say, when getting ready for this most recent test, I totally gave it my all. I studied for at least 45 hours. I did every single problem from chapter 1 through chapter 6, the test covered chapter 4.5 through chapter 6. Looking back on the week leading up to the most recent test, I can honestly say, there is nothing else, short of quitting my job, that I could have done to get myself more ready for that test. However, I can only recall 3 times today that it crossed my mind, each time, I answered the question above with a resounding NO. Am I pissed about it? sure. Am I going to let it affect me and bother me for a long time, hell no, what's the point, what does it accomplish? Again, answer the question above and just forget about it.

Good to know that I'm not the only person this happens to. Thanks for the advice.

misskitty: I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA provided you state up front somewhere on your application "this is why it happened" in the space where they ask if there's any more information you want to provide. And get your guidance counselor to mention it too while you're at it. Schools understand that life happens, and if you explain yourself they'll forgive you provided it's only a one time thing (as in your grades were good when you didn't have health problems to worry about). So cheer up. :smile:

EDIT - (ommitted; irrelevant to the topic)

Seriously, the only thing that matters is grad school, as most undergrad courses are somewhat the same. Just go to a school you like, study something you feel passionate about, get a good GPA, and apply to grad school.

I had a 3.0 in high school, and I am maintaining a 3.8 in college here. It all depends on hard work. But mostly, I found that most things taught in high school are wrong to a certaind degree. So don't even worry about the GPA. The main way to do well in college is time management, and NO PARTIES!

Thanks everyone. Its good to know that not everyone on this cite has an unwavering 4.0 since freshman year in high school. YOUR HUMAN! :biggrin:

Awww!But Aszyteen, can't I party just a little? :wink: just kidding, :biggrin:

Azytzeen said:
The main way to do well in college is time management, and NO PARTIES!

Don't listen to this. There is plenty of time to party at university. I'd say if you don't pary, you'll end up doing worse than if you do. Sometimes, you need to chillax and stop worrying about school. Partying is one of these many times.

Regards,

Nenad

the point is to take pleasure in thinking about the material, not from comparing your gpa to someone else's. its the physics that counts, not the grades.

True, but the GPA is going to help me get in...or at least I hope so.
I'm not much into parties as it is :shy: I'm not a big social butterfly.

misskitty said:
I'm not much into parties as it is :shy: I'm not a big social butterfly.

The point is to have something to do that takes your mind off studying every once in a while. I wasn't into parties, either. I hung out with about a half-dozen other physics majors in the evening in the college's "physics library" (a spare room with big tables, some books and a desk calculator). Sometimes we worked on homework, sometimes we just goofed off, sometimes we went out for long walks. This was in a really tiny town, a village really, and it was "dry" so there weren't any bars. You could go a few blocks in any direction and be in cornfields or woods or whatever.

And I was (and still am) into classical music and some other hobbies, and I can go off and immerse myself in those for a few hours to refresh my mind.

Good advice. That is a bit more my speed. It is definitely good to remove your mind from your studies everyonce in a while. I'd burn myself out if I didn't have something to take my mind off of my studies. I'm still trying to take Andromeda's advice. It kinda bugs me that I didn't get into a summer advanced studies program. I was one of 550 total applicants. Now I'm wait listed. :frown: As far as my GPA goes, I kind of feel like I'm not all that intelligent if I've got only a 3.7. However there are people like me who stress about it and they've got lower numbers than I do.

Like you, I'm hugely involved in music, if I'm not writing lyrics, singing or playing I'm listening to it. My life revolves around music. :smile:

It provides the perfect escape from society, especially when I get to perform it.

Dont worry about your gpa being a 3.7, that's not bad at all. I will (hopefully) have a gpa somewhere around that when I graduate. I got two C's freshman year which really messed me up. With a 4.0 you would still have to worry about getting into the schools like MIT and such. Truth is that grades aren't the only factor they take into mind when deciding your fate. This will just be undergrad school so don't worry if you don't get into your favorite school. If your essay's are really good than that combined with a 3.7 could be even better than getting a 4.0 with a sh***y essay. Like a lotof people said, admittance into more prestigous universities is almost random sometimes. One last thing, intelligence isn't messured by your grades at all. You mess up as a human, that's just how it is. Perfect grades do not equal intelligence. People who have a 4.0 and think that they are smart just because of that are usually pretty weird people :P

Didn't know that. Good information Moose.

Did you take the SAT and ACT yet? If I had the chance, I would have taken them again and again. I only took the ACT once, and I didn't even take the SAT, and now I realized those scores are important to colleges and for scholarships!

I still got into the college of my choice, and I'll be going there this fall, but my point is this: Take those tests over and over and you'll keep improving your scores...

ok, but what about those of us who are in the lower end of the spectrum?

I really want to attend grad school, but my grades are less than stellar. I am in 2nd year, and my overall average is 72% (about 3.1 GPA), with a 78% in physics courses (3.4-ish). I know that to go to grad school, you need about a 3.0 - 3.25 GPA (absolute minimum). So what are my chances of getting into grad school (realistically)? I am in Canada, so I would like to pursue a M.Sc initially, and we also do not have to take the GRE.

What could I possibly do to increase my chances of getting accepted, since I don't exactly have a 3.7?

misskitty said:
Its good to know that not everyone on this cite has an unwavering 4.0 since freshman year in high school.

I know a few people like that, and they occasionally have a tendency to be egoists and flaunters. I don't have a perfect 4.0 GPA myself (it too is around 3.7ish), but I don't focus on grades so much as learning and understanding the material. We all get bad grades occasionally, just don't let a 4.0 ideal discourage you.

misskitty said:
As far as my GPA goes, I kind of feel like I'm not all that intelligent if I've got only a 3.7. However there are people like me who stress about it and they've got lower numbers than I do.

Many a times I have psychologically bashed myself over numerical status (such as GPA, class rank, SAT scores), but in reality, I'd much rather talk to an intelligent person with a low GPA than a conceited 4.0 average person. Numbers and people don't mix too well. I'm a 2nd clarinetist, does that make me any less of a person?

misskitty said:
Like you, I'm hugely involved in music, if I'm not writing lyrics, singing or playing I'm listening to it. My life revolves around music. :smile:

It provides the perfect escape from society, especially when I get to perform it.

Good. Anything that can relieve the stresses of life is a good thing.

A few blemishes on your transcript is not always a bad thing. I messed up my freshmen year in high school. I did not care then because of the environment. My family then moved and I made it up and received a 4.0 for the next 3 years in a row. I now have a 3.9. When just talking to a dean of admissions (not the university I am attending). She said this probably helped me. It shows that you did struggle. It shows that you can work and overcome it. Make sure that next year is a 4.0. Throw in some honors classes, and not blow off ones like AP basket weaving if it is offered :).

Honestly, MIT will be out of reach. It may not be impossible but that will be a 4.0 and then some school. There was a recent thread where a student had, if I remember right, a 4.0 and a 5 on the AP physics test along with another 5 on the Calculus one. He did not get in. Granted he is a male. And if white or asian does not help. I heard MIT was straining for diversity and a 1:1 gender ratio. Well, now to get off the tangent. Maine should not be a problem though. What other schools were you looking at? Oh, and still apply to MIT. You never know. And you have to have a dream school. Just do not get too hopeful. No one should.

reading these posts makes me sad. you guys seem to be obsessing over things that do not matter.

one guy regretted not retaking the sats even though he got into the school of his choice! how pointless can you get?

obviously taking them over again and raising your grade does not make you smarter or better qualified.

there is hardly a school out there that does not have excellent professors.

don't you realize that you do not want to get into a school that is not suited for you? if you have lower scores, and the scores have any meaning at all, then you belong at a school aimed at students with lower scores.

you may be over your head at one aimed at very high scoring students. that is not a shame, its called getting accepted at the school that is a good fit for you.

i am a college professor with experience in high school teaching and advising, and graduate school admissions, and hiring.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
don't you realize that you do not want to get into a school that is not suited for you? if you have lower scores, and the scores have any meaning at all, then you belong at a school aimed at students with lower scores.

The problem is - as I've mentioned in the SAT thread - the scores, in particular the SAT, don't have as much meaning as one would like.

It does depend on your major though. If your goal is to be in a competitive and quantitative major like physics or math, then you're better off in a school with averages in SAT II's that are fairly close to your own, otherwise you'll probably be way over your head in classes.

If your goal is simply to graduate from a prestigious school - one can do that without having top-notch entrance-exam scores. There are more than enough people who graduate from Harvard in soft majors who had low SAT scores coming in. Some jocks, for example.

one guy regretted not retaking the sats even though he got into the school of his choice! how pointless can you get?

What I got from this guys post is that he never knew just how much of an impact those tests have on your college apps. I know after doing mine I was thinking 'damn, I really should've done this.' It's more of advice along the lines of 'I've done this before. Here is what I learned.'

Yes, that is what I was talking about in reference to the SATs. I'm applying for scholarships that require good ACT/SAT scores, and now I wish I'd taken them so I'd have a better chance at more money.

So the main reason for me was scholarship money...I'm not exactly rich and I'm not sure if I can handle a job my freshman year on campus.

I'm taking the SATs again this june. I took them as a sophmore last year and did fairly well...980 combined, which according to the statistics was the same ball park as the average senior. I'm taking them again to improve my scores and my scholarship possiblities. I'm going to take the SAT IIs, but I need to make sure they are offering the test in my area. I'm also scoping out information about the ACTs.

Is there any hope for me getting into MIT at all? It sounds as though I've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting in. I hope there is a possibility of getting in.

I'm still going to apply to MIT even though the grades my junior year aren't stellar.
However, the grades from all my previous years put me in the 3.9 ballpark for a GPA. Because as I explained before, I've had a bit of health trouble that has affected my ability to regualrly attend school. We are working on correcting these health issues first, but there are people who are going to explain what happend, why my GPA dropped and all that jazz. In the meantime I'm pulling everything up as close or higher than what it was.

My list of colleges to apply to is about 19 schools long. I mentioned MIT, Northeastern, Ithica, Boston College, Boston University, Boston Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, University of Maine, New England Conservatory, Julliard, Sarah Lawrence, Harvard, Yale, Vassar, US Naval Academy, Alaska Pacific, Northwestern, Bennington, and University of Maine.

The spectrum of schools is so long because I'm looking at two possible majors: music performance and composition and engineering and business management. So I chose schools to cover both majors.

All of you have added valuable information for me. Thank you all so much! Please keep the advice coming, believe me I can use it.

980 is good for a sophomore...but i'd advise getting an SAT book or taking a course if you really hope to get into MIT. MIT usually looks for top 1-5% of scores...lol. so if you are really serious about MIT, enlist in a private Princeton Review course.

also, you should be discussing this with your counselor. my counselor really helped me understand how the whole selection process works. so definitely talk to teachers and adults who know a lot about this stuff.

Funny you should mention my guidance counselor, I have been meeting with her whenever she has an open appointment. I've told her what I've been doing and gave her all the basic information I gave you and then asked her what I should do because I've done everything I can think of and I need help on what to do next...she said I have no idea...she's a Guidence Counselor...she's supposed to Guide me on what to do next.

I think you guys have provided better help than she has.lol

Well you know, throughout high school I kept restraining myself from asking my counselor "if you're so good at making descisions why did you become a high school guidance counselor?" :wink:
Really though, getting an SAT book and just doing practice tests from it is a really good idea. That's because it's a rather formulaic process that you need to get into so you can learn to do problems quickly when it matters.

I second mathwonk's post. You guys care WAY too much about scores and stuff.

Bseides, you should be more worried about what you know than what grades you get.

I'm still lost on the idea that we care too much about scores. It's all part of the entrance. Blame the system.

Guidance counselors really should not be telling you what to do next.That is too much responsibility. Mine were just there to help out in selecting classes to help me get where I wanted to go and to help with paperwork if needed. This is all they should be doing. As for which college should I look at, that is something no one but you should decide. Go to Barnes and Noble and just cruise the books. It will show you nthe best schools for the major you want that also match the test scores you make. Research is invaluable.

DeadWolfe said:
I second mathwonk's post. You guys care WAY too much about scores and stuff.

Bseides, you should be more worried about what you know than what grades you get.

Deadwolfe, I'm sorry if I came off like I worry too much about my grades--the truth is, another user needed some advice, and seeing as how I'm a high school senior right now who has just gone through it all, I figured I would be a good candidate to help her.

I agree with Zach: You cannot blame students for grades being such an important factor in today's society. All colleges want good scores, and it is up to us, the students, to deliver them in order to earn admission.

That is the only reason why I care so much about my scores. Its because that's the only schools care about. Not to mention my guidance counselor lead me to believe that is the only thing that matters.

As far as what to do next, the reason I asked my guidance counselor what to do is because I have don't know anything about applying to college, where to look for scholarships, how to get my transcripts sent to my schools, all the things that come along with applying to college. I don't know anything about applying to college.

I too agree with Zach. Students are so grade and score oriented is because that's what they are lead to believe that is the only thing that matters. I'm still trying to remember that myself.

misskitty:

For undergrad test scores are one of the best indicators out there, along with letters of recomendation. I had to have 3 letters for my application. Build up a good relationship with some teachers and show them you care about school. 1-3 letters is all you will need. Another one is the essay. At some schools you can even clip out of freshmen comp if it is good enough.

Here is a checklist: (Things that will make your application very sound.)

GPA - If you have a 3.5 you can get into a really good school. The Ivy league is no longer the only way. State schools have caught up tremendously. At 3.75 schools will start looking at scholarships although they may be small depending on the SAT or ACT scores. A 4.0 is great grounds for money.

ACT & SAT - Along the same lines of GPA. Decides money and what classes you should be started at. Someone will have to translate the ACT scores to the SAT for me. The ACT should be at about a 22 to look at entrance. 27+ will begin to look at money and possible clipping along with a good GPA and possible AP classes. 34+ you should definitely be getting money.
As to which test to take. It depends on the region. The way I always here it said is if you are looking at a school along the coast go SAT if you are looking at the central US go ACT. For what schools you listed I would go for the SAT. That seems to be more af a standard that is used everywhere anyway. If you decide on a few in the central US the ACT is all you really need. This was my case as the only school that really uses the SAT that I looked at was Stanford but still was not my first pick and the others were more ACT oriented. So, I went that route. You have a large gamut of schools so I would attempt to take both.

Letters of rec - This will probably help you out a lot more than you might think. Try to get some letters going at the start of your senior year. Pick teachers that really believe that you could flourish in college and your major. Otherwise if the teacher likes you but doesn't really know who you are you will get a mediocre letter. It won't be bad but not phenomenalWhat I did is I picked two teachers in the field I was going into. One was my physics and chemistry teacher. I knew her well because she taught 2 classes I took and attended meetings at a university that I went to also. Then my AP computer science teacher. Which is a somewhat applicable field. She loved me because I went through with no lower than a 98%. Then pick one that is completely different. Art, English or music will do well. I went with my english teacher. Do you see how to pick them now. pick teachers you left a mark on and it will leave a mark on the college. And as in stocks, diversify.

The essay - Start early. Schools post the topics early. And the topics are close enough that you can do one and use it as a core for the rest if you needed to. Mine took a few months to write because I felt there was always something else I could do to make it better. Some schools want an app in by November. I believe it is like this with MIT, Berkeley, etc. Check that out. Start on those essays in the summer and the rest I would begin in September as you are finishing up the first batch of apps. The second batch won't be needed in until January - March. Watch for rolling decisions though.

These are just extra things to do: (Make life easier on you.)

Look for scholarships now - Don't wait until your senior year. This is a mistake I made.

Decide that this is what you want to do - Some things seem interesting until you do it. Find an old textbook and try to self teach if you can do it and enjoy it at the same time then you will have fun. If not, think it over.

Which school would be best - MIT may not be the best for example. Did you want a combination in physics and business? If you wanted this and the school name, check out Harvard or Princeton. MIT will be lacking in business. It's not their field. If you are undecided between music or physics then go to a state school. If you change your mind the money won't be as big of a shock. And you can always transfer when you are sure. Money will go farther on this route.

Sure you should do it for the physics itself. No one is denying that. However, you should still try for your best. Don't blow off grades because doing homework would be a waste of your time for other subject matter.

Mathwonk, are you ok. The connotation I get from your post seems to be harboring some animosity teetering on the edge of malice. Although the rhetoric is obvious please provide some examples that people could use in your last two posts. Purely using your profession as credentials seems analogous as a student using grades to get into college. Sorry to speak like this but...

reading these posts makes me sad. you guys seem to be obsessing over things that do not matter.

posts like that coming from a college professor to a high school student trying to give advice seems a bit immature. Perhaps we can all hit this level of maturity some day if we try hard enough. Sorry, for all this. Your first contribution was good. However the second seemed like an attack to a post that was not pointless. It was someone giving advice from their experience. That should never be looked down upon. And the 3rd one seemed like a bashing towards the topic starter for listening to the advice.

<h2>1. What is a 3.759 GPA?</h2><p>A 3.759 GPA stands for a grade point average of 3.759, which is calculated based on the grades you have received in your classes. It is a measure of your academic performance and is often used by colleges and universities to determine your academic standing.</p><h2>2. Is a 3.759 GPA considered good?</h2><p>A 3.759 GPA is considered a very good GPA, as it falls within the range of 3.5-4.0, which is typically considered an "A" average. This GPA shows that you have consistently performed well in your classes and have a strong understanding of the material.</p><h2>3. What does it mean to be in the top 20 rank?</h2><p>Being in the top 20 rank means that you are among the top 20% of students in your class or school. This is determined by your GPA and class rank, which compares your academic performance to that of your peers.</p><h2>4. How can I decide whether to be stressed over school or not?</h2><p>Deciding whether or not to be stressed over school is a personal decision and can depend on various factors such as your goals, workload, and personal well-being. It is important to prioritize your mental and physical health while also striving for academic success. Seeking support from friends, family, or a counselor can also help in managing stress related to school.</p><h2>5. What are some tips for managing stress related to school?</h2><p>Some tips for managing stress related to school include: setting realistic goals and expectations, prioritizing tasks and responsibilities, practicing good time management, seeking help and support when needed, taking breaks and engaging in self-care activities, and maintaining a positive mindset. It is also important to communicate with your teachers and seek accommodations if necessary.</p>

1. What is a 3.759 GPA?

A 3.759 GPA stands for a grade point average of 3.759, which is calculated based on the grades you have received in your classes. It is a measure of your academic performance and is often used by colleges and universities to determine your academic standing.

2. Is a 3.759 GPA considered good?

A 3.759 GPA is considered a very good GPA, as it falls within the range of 3.5-4.0, which is typically considered an "A" average. This GPA shows that you have consistently performed well in your classes and have a strong understanding of the material.

3. What does it mean to be in the top 20 rank?

Being in the top 20 rank means that you are among the top 20% of students in your class or school. This is determined by your GPA and class rank, which compares your academic performance to that of your peers.

4. How can I decide whether to be stressed over school or not?

Deciding whether or not to be stressed over school is a personal decision and can depend on various factors such as your goals, workload, and personal well-being. It is important to prioritize your mental and physical health while also striving for academic success. Seeking support from friends, family, or a counselor can also help in managing stress related to school.

5. What are some tips for managing stress related to school?

Some tips for managing stress related to school include: setting realistic goals and expectations, prioritizing tasks and responsibilities, practicing good time management, seeking help and support when needed, taking breaks and engaging in self-care activities, and maintaining a positive mindset. It is also important to communicate with your teachers and seek accommodations if necessary.