What are the accepted ranges for low, mid, and high audio frequencies?

In summary, the ranges of frequencies that are classified as low, mid-range, and high vary depending on the individual's hearing range.
sherrellbc
I am working on a small design project for class. I am making a simple frequency analyzer that essentially will multiplex a corresponding number of LEDs and turn a servo.

I realize that the audible range of the human ear is roughly 60 - 20k Hz. Within this spectrum, what ranges of frequencies is classified as low, mid-range, and high? I need to know approximately what the accepted ranges are in order to design my filters accordingly. If there really is not a set standard I suppose I could always improvise.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
sherrellbc said:
I am working on a small design project for class. I am making a simple frequency analyzer that essentially will multiplex a corresponding number of LEDs and turn a servo.

I realize that the audible range of the human ear is roughly 60 - 20k Hz. Within this spectrum, what ranges of frequencies is classified as low, mid-range, and high? I need to know approximately what the accepted ranges are in order to design my filters accordingly. If there really is not a set standard I suppose I could always improvise.

Thanks
Please remember that 'classification' never implies 'understanding'. So many students worry themselves sick when 'the names' appear to clash with reality; there is no need to. If in doubt, ask for clarification and some actual numbers because these divisions are always changing. Buzzwords are for salesmen and not for Engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still only stamp collecting, though.

Try this site it let's you hear the frequency so you can classify them to suit your taste.

(it's really intended for us old guys to check our tinnitus)

http://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/

The old Bell system phone network was engineered to support 300 Hz to 3000 Hz for voice circuits. Over those old phone lines, you could hear music, but it sounded kind of cheesy.

Although some people can perceive musical tones as high as 20000 Hz, most can't. In today's world, many people have had their hearing reduced by noise pollution, so probably they can only perceive much lower frequencies than 20000.

You'd probably catch pretty good sound for most folks if you could allow for 300 to 10000 Hz.

to my ear
low = below~160hz
mid = below about 800hz
high = above that
This comes from tinkering with an audio oscillator and speaker.

Type those into that link and see what your friends think...

What is an audio frequency range?

An audio frequency range refers to the range of frequencies or pitches that can be heard by humans, typically between 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. It is also known as the audible range.

Why is it important to understand audio frequency ranges?

Understanding audio frequency ranges is important for audio engineers, producers, and musicians as it allows them to properly mix and master audio, ensuring that all frequencies are balanced and present in the final product.

What are the different frequency ranges in audio?

The different frequency ranges in audio include bass frequencies (20 Hz to 250 Hz), midrange frequencies (250 Hz to 4 kHz), and high frequencies (4 kHz to 20,000 Hz). These ranges can vary depending on the type of audio equipment and the individual's hearing ability.

How do different audio devices affect frequency ranges?

Different audio devices can affect frequency ranges in a few ways. Low-quality speakers may not be able to produce frequencies in the high range, resulting in a loss of clarity in the audio. Additionally, different audio devices may have different frequency response curves, meaning they may emphasize or de-emphasize certain frequencies.

Can humans hear frequencies outside of the audible range?

No, humans cannot hear frequencies outside of the audible range. However, some animals, such as bats and dolphins, can hear frequencies well above or below the human audible range.