Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
OmCheeto said:
Poohdemonium?
:biggrin:

My 6 brothers and sisters once left me and my poor old mother with their 6 toddlers for a weekend.

I was about 24, and ended up, never, ever, ever, having any children...

The trick is to keep the toddler concentration below the critical mass avoiding the positive feedback detonation, which must be below six as both examples show. I have to say that the oldest, Leany, was an exemplary moderator.

I had the good fortune to observe how my three toddlers develloped into beautiful caring people, despite our efforts to raise them. That was a great time and lots of fun, much much more important than the associated chores.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
The trick is to keep the toddler concentration below the critical mass avoiding the positive feedback detonation, which must be below six as both examples show. I have to say that the oldest, Leany, was an exemplary moderator.

I had the good fortune to observe how my three toddlers develloped into beautiful caring people, despite our efforts to raise them. That was a great time and lots of fun, much much more important than the associated chores.

It makes me think about this show I watched, I think in Nat Geographic:
It seems you are more of an exception in (your family) having that many children. Many countries in the world have negative population growth. Russia loses around 900,000 people
a year. Bulgaria had a population of around 9 mill in the 80's and now the population is around
7.2 million. Wonder what it may be like living in Bulgaria and seeing the population fade away
around you. I know it's happenning here in the U.S too, in places like Detroit, but Bulgaria has lost around 20% of its population since the 80's. They had a C-Span show about that,about a book "What to Expect When No one is Expecting". So much for fears of the population bomb --outside of a few countries.

Last edited:
My sister sent out the following email to the family yesterday:

Om's sister said:
Subj: Gun Control
Adolf Hitler said:
This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient,and the world will follow our lead into the future.

She wrote nothing herself, so I assumed she was using this as an implication that we not have gun registration.

So I thought back to when my mother was alive, and what she said regarding growing up in Hitler's Germany.
(I interviewed her 10 years before she passed away, as I knew she wouldn't live forever.)

My response:

Om's Mom said:
We never had toothbrushes until Hitler took over.

OmCheeto said:
Should we not brush our teeth because Hitler thought oral hygiene was a good idea?

and yes, you can quote me on that.

Happy Saturday everyone!

hmmm...

Does there already exist, a word, that describes not doing something, because Hitler did it?

Adolphobia?

OmCheeto said:
Does there already exist, a word, that describes not doing something, because Hitler did it?

Adolphobia?

Maybe we should go for Godwinness (akin truthiness) as his law prohibits any serieus research into the sociologic and psychologic forces that led to the dark pages of the former century.

Andre said:

hmmm... Looking over my notes, it would appear that there were only 5, and only 1 was a toddler. But poohdemonium happened anyways.

I had set them all at mom's picnic table with a scrap piece of wall paneling, with some paint and brushes. I had them all draw pictures. Everyone was having a great time, until, my two nieces, aged 5, discovered that when you smear all the paints together, it turned brown. The 5 independent images were rapidly turning into a homogenous brown mess, and my nephew, 7, started crying, so I told everyone to stop. I asked the girls what they were drawing, and they said; "POOP!"

I told everyone that the painting was done, and I had the girls sign the painting, as it was pretty much all poop.

It hangs on my bedroom wall. :smile:

crystalnkelly.jpg

Summer 1984

My sixth and final niece was born 3 years later.
Ha! Guess what she majored in. Art History.

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
It seems you are more of an exception in (your family) having that many children. Many countries in the world have negative population growth. Russia loses around 900,000 people
a year. Bulgaria had a population of around 9 mill in the 80's and now the population is around
7.2 million. Wonder what it may be like living in Bulgaria and seeing the population fade away
around you. I know it's happenning here in the U.S too, in places like Detroit, but Bulgaria has lost around 20% of its population since the 80's. They had a C-Span show about that,about a book "What to Expect When No one is Expecting". So much for fears of the population bomb --outside of a few countries.

One person's problem is sometimes another person's solution.

http://cdn.indulgy.com/LC/1B/7A/1657184612587371173rFTOeGZc.jpg​

Drats! Now I can't find it. Someone posted something to the effect; "...GMO's do what you want them to do...", in another thread.

When I saw that, I was all:

OmCheeto and his random thoughts said:
Yay! Great idea! Create a GMO that reduces human fertility by 90%! I'm now 100% in favor of GMO's!

at which point, a voice popped into my head:

Anti-Om"Mr. Eugenics"Cheeto said:
So you want to virtually sterilize everyone?

At which point I said;

Not only YES, but, HELL YES!

But wouldn't this affect only poor countries?

Not only YES, but, HELL YES!

So you are in favor of eugenics.

No. I'm in favor of people not having so many babies, that they can't feed, nor keep them occupied, to the point, where they just all end up wanting to come to America!

Anti-Om"Mr. Stop Immigration Now!"Cheeto said:
What's wrong with immigration? If you go back between 40,000—16,500 years, the entirety of America could be considered immigrants.

True, but, I don't like all these new people. Their ideals and habits are very alien. They should stay home. Look at those two Chechnyan dudes.

Anti-Om"I hate Chechnyans"Cheeto said:
So you hate all foreigners then...

Good god no. I've never even met a Chechnyan. I have many foreign friends, whom I would gladly step in front of, to stop a bullet. My Russian friend just yesterday told me the story of Ivan Susanin, who gave his life to save the Czar from incompetent invading Poles.

Anti-Om"I hate Poles said:
So now you hate people from Poland then...

Nooooo! My mother was born in Poland you imbecile! You are implying that I'm self-loathing!

Anti-Om"needs anger management"Cheeto said:
What's with all the exclamation points?

[PLAIN]http://www.europa.com/%7Egarry/No-I-dont-need-ANGER-MANAGEMENT-You-need-to-quit-PISSING-ME-OFF.jpg[/CENTER]

A much abbreviated example, of what goes through my head, on a typical Saturday morning. :blushing:

----------------------------
Ok to delete, infract, and ban, as I've saved my post.
Oh look! The sun is out!

Last edited by a moderator:
A squirrel has found a way into my attic. This is a job for Homeowner Man! yipee... :grumpy:

Kind of interesting, the trio of last names:

Beck, Becker, Beckest .

Different scales of being Beck, I guess: You're Beck, but she is Becker and the other one is the Beckest of all. I wonder if there are other (trios of) last names of this type.

Edit: I found a pair of this type: Bessem and Bessemer, but there seems to be no one

"last-named" Bessemest. It may a good one if you're thinking of going into witness protection,

or maybe just anyone thinking of a change of last names.

Edit 2: Talked with a French guy who brought up Becquerel. Any suggestions on where he could

fit in the order Beck< Becker< Beckest ?

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Astronuc said:
In South Carolina Congressional Race, [STRIKE]Drama[/STRIKE] Circus Outpaces Discussion of Issues
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/u...race-drama-outpaces-discussion-of-issues.html

:rolleyes:

And we wonder why government is dysfunctional.

But there's more: after his divorce, and after parading himself with his new Argentinian lover,
(together with the whole public spectacle of his "hiking the Appalachian Trail")Mark Sanford expected his ex-wife to run his comeback campaign for governor, I think, for free.

Last edited:
Borg said:
A squirrel has found a way into my attic. This is a job for Homeowner Man! yipee... :grumpy:

Oh noes, Borg hasn't posted since this one! I hope he wasn't up against this kind of squirrel...

http://crownflint.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/squirrel_with_machine_gun.jpg?w=640

LOL lisab! I have to add that one to my collection!

As I had mentioned in a now closed thread, I had inadvertently eliminated most of the salt from my diet without realizing it. Surely it is a combination of diet, exercise, and reduced stress levels, but my blood pressure is now running about 120/80! Both were about 10 points higher a year ago.

lisab said:
Oh noes, Borg hasn't posted since this one! I hope he wasn't up against this kind of squirrel...

http://crownflint.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/squirrel_with_machine_gun.jpg?w=640
:rofl: I'm still here.

hi!

Borek said:
Interesting, but the guy has completely missed the fact he's breeding them to be harder and harder to eat.

zoobyshoe said:
Interesting, but the guy has completely missed the fact he's breeding them to be harder and harder to eat.
I'm sure that they wouldn't survive a Death Ray (some assembly required).

Borg said:
I'm sure that they wouldn't survive a Death Ray (some assembly required).
True, but I don't want to have to be required to kill my M&M's with a death ray before I can eat them.

Be thankful you aren't in the UK. Since American furry-tailed rats (a.k.a. grey squirrels) are an alien pest species, if you capture one (even accidentally) it's illegal to relase it back into the wild. But it's also illegal to cause any animal cruelty while killing it. Catch-22!

Borek said:

I spent 20 minutes researching, and trying to come up with a "creationist" rebuttal, that M&M's cannot evolve. The only thing I could come up with was;

Where are the "intermediate" M&M fossils?

Someone else can have my badge... :cry: and sacrifice me to the Volcano...

------------------
The four other creationist points, made me just want to cry.

1 SPONTANEOUS GENERATION
2 MISSING LINKS
3 THERMODYNAMICS
4 BIG BANG BALONEY
5 OXYGEN DILEMMA

ps. LisaB, do not google that. It is obscene!
I nearly threw up.

OmCheeto said:
I spent 20 minutes researching, and trying to come up with a "creationist" rebuttal, that M&M's cannot evolve. The only thing I could come up with was;

Where are the "intermediate" M&M fossils?

Someone else can have my badge... :cry: and sacrifice me to the Volcano...

------------------
The four other creationist points, made me just want to cry.

1 SPONTANEOUS GENERATION
2 MISSING LINKS
3 THERMODYNAMICS
4 BIG BANG BALONEY
5 OXYGEN DILEMMA

ps. LisaB, do not google that. It is obscene!
I nearly threw up.

Don't forget Catastrophism, where the happenstance of related fossils in nearby areas was explained in saying that catastrophes (hence the name) caused the fossils to be spread out, and that rather than evolution occurring, the old species was simply killed off entirely, and then a new, relatively similar one, was created.

My bio textbook noted how this was a somewhat prominent theory back in the days before, or coinciding with, Darwin. I only mentioned it because I love the concept of it:

"Well then how did these fossils get from here, to there, without the species changing locations, and ultimately evolving due to genetic drift?"

"Clearly the original species was destroyed, and then its remains were thrown around the Earth by tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, volcanoes, floods, or whatever natural disaster you can think of."

They were met with some trouble when it could be definitively shown that no natural disaster happened somewhere. Then God did it.

Yay.

OmCheeto said:
I spent 20 minutes researching, and trying to come up with a "creationist" rebuttal, that M&M's cannot evolve.

For several reasons Mitochondrial DNA research is very helpful in tracking recent detailed diversification of species. You could consider to attempt rebuttal by M&M mDNA evidence.

A man against himself? I convinced my friend that Eugene V. Debs was a Supreme Court case (strange that his name came up; can't remember how ): " Yes, see the V ? Same as in Roe V. Wade, or Brown V. BOE " Maybe I should tell him the truth so he doesn't make an idiot of himself when talking to others ( we play jokes on each other ) . I had "corrected" my nephew ( 8 y.o back then) a few years back into using the expression "self-defecating humor". I wonder what happened with that.

Bacle2 said:
A man against himself? I convinced my friend that Eugene V. Debs was a Supreme Court case (strange that his name came up; can't remember how ): " Yes, see the V ? Same as in Roe V. Wade, or Brown V. BOE " Maybe I should tell him the truth so he doesn't make an idiot of himself when talking to others ( we play jokes on each other ) . I had "corrected" my nephew ( 8 y.o back then) a few years back into using the expression "self-defecating humor". I wonder what happened with that.

I'm on my 7th reading of this post. I think I've almost got it.

Likes WWGD
Tonight my new Geophysicist pal told me about the pancakes of Venus:

pancakes_l.jpg

This made me leary about how hard a science Geophysics actually is, because these are clearly not pancakes. They're jellyfish.

Hubble Space Telescope has captured comet ISON. I've enhanced and filtered the image, and now more details can be seen.

25iyngz.jpg

Awesome new game from Activision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nl5B857Lcc

I'm making AV connectors (sockets and custom cords) out of a discarded USB extension cord. This is by far the most useless hobby-related thing I've done, and I'm not sure if when the COMPLETE project is done (because this'll be part of a much bigger thing), it'll even work.

What am I doing with my life? I could be doing something, you know, productive... like cooking, or nursing those avocado trees back to life. Instead I'm stuck on "improving" thirty year old computer hardware, because the Japanese didn't think of putting AV connectors on their video game consoles.

It's funny how some people react to this Atkins diet. There seems to be a school of people who hate it with a passion even though they don't really know much about it. A couple even seemed to get mad when I told them how successful I've been. But the latest is the best of all. Now the story is that I didn't really lose all of that weight! She simply refused to believe that I've lost over 60 lbs. :rofl: She's a massage therapist and apparently my story violated her world view.

Ivan Seeking said:
It's funny how some people react to this Atkins diet. There seems to be a school of people who hate it with a passion even though they don't really know much about it. A couple even seemed to get mad when I told them how successful I've been. But the latest is the best of all. Now the story is that I didn't really lose all of that weight! She simply refused to believe that I've lost over 60 lbs. :rofl: She's a massage therapist and apparently my story violated her world view.

I spent years arguing with my dad about it, because I thought it was crap, until my Dr. put me on (a variant of) atkins for my reactive hypoglycemia. I still have my reservations with regards to some other health issues, but I do see the logic to it.

No jokes about lawyers not smelling of roses ...

Ths staff at a UK solicitor's office (with the wonderfully Dickensian name of Moody and Woolley) have found the cause of funny smells and a plague of flies.

There was a dead burglar stuck in the chimney - he was probably there for 6 weeks before anybody started to complain about the smell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22389157