Is Kinetic Energy Applicable to Massless Particles with Pure Charge?

In summary: To summarize, the conversation discusses the concept of a hypothetical particle with no mass but pure charge and the possibility of it having kinetic energy. The idea of constructing a mathematical model of an electron by combining two particles is also brought up, as well as the potential incompleteness of the Hamiltonian in the Schroedinger Wave Equation. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the feasibility of a charged massless particle in our universe.
IqbalHamid
Consider a hypothetical particle with no mass (like a neutrino or photon, in that sense), but with pure charge.

Consider this pure charge being accelerated in an electric field.

Is there any meaning in associating kinetic energy to this charge as it accelerates to a region of lower Electric Potential?

Surely by analogy to matter in a gravitational field, we can regard the particle as gaining KE=0.5qv^2?

Would you agree?

Also, is it possible to construct a mathematical model of the electron by regarding it as the superposition of two hypothetical particles:
1. Massless particle with charge of -e
2. Chargeless particle of mass, me

If so, then surely, we should regard the Kinetic Energy of an electron being accelerated in an electric field as being the sum of :
KE due to mass + KE due to its charge = 0.5(m+q)v^2

If so, then surely teh Hamiltonian in the Schroedinger Wave Equation is incomplete? WOuld you agree?

Does my reasoning make sense? Your thoughts and comments please.

Physics news on Phys.org
IqbalHamid said:
Consider a hypothetical particle with no mass (like a neutrino or photon, in that sense), but with pure charge.

Consider this pure charge being accelerated in an electric field.

Is there any meaning in associating kinetic energy to this charge as it accelerates to a region of lower Electric Potential?

Surely by analogy to matter in a gravitational field, we can regard the particle as gaining KE=0.5qv^2?

Would you agree?

Also, is it possible to construct a mathematical model of the electron by regarding it as the superposition of two hypothetical particles:
1. Massless particle with charge of -e
2. Chargeless particle of mass, me

If so, then surely, we should regard the Kinetic Energy of an electron being accelerated in an electric field as being the sum of :
KE due to mass + KE due to its charge = 0.5(m+q)v^2

If so, then surely teh Hamiltonian in the Schroedinger Wave Equation is incomplete? WOuld you agree?

Does my reasoning make sense? Your thoughts and comments please.
Charge is always associated with mass. Asking about the properties of a massless charge would be like asking about the properties of a photon that had rest mass.

AM

Is it even possible to have a charged massless particle? Electric fields contain energy, so any charged particle must at least have a rest energy equivalent to it's surrounding field.

There are, to an excellent approximation, quasiparticles that are massless Dirac fermions in graphene.
http://landau100.itp.ac.ru/Talks/katsnelson.pdf
http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5179
http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.5297

I haven't read those suggestions from Google. The first is an unrefereed presentation, but the author also wrote the second reference, which is refereed, as is the third, so they might contain some reliable stuff.

Here is another example, I believe only theoretical so far, of how the low energy excitations of a non-relativistic lattice model behave as massless U(1) gauge bosons and massless Dirac fermions: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0507118.

Last edited:
Our universe does not contain a charged elementary particle without mass, so this falls in the category of "what does physics say when you break the laws of physics"?

Well, gluons are color-charged, does that count?

A natural question. I wish I knew more about QFT's to be able to answer properly. But my naive answer is that 1) in the case of low-energy, gluons must stay inside hadrons, so it is not possible to accelerate free gluons. 2) in the case of very high energy, not so sure, hopefully things don't get crazy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptotic_freedom

1. What is kinetic energy of pure charge?

Kinetic energy of pure charge refers to the energy associated with the movement of a charged particle. It is a type of potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy as the charged particle moves.

2. How is kinetic energy of pure charge calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of pure charge is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the charged particle and v is its velocity. This formula is derived from the basic principles of physics and can be applied to any charged particle in motion.

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy of pure charge?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy of pure charge is joules (J). This is the same unit used for measuring other forms of energy, such as mechanical and thermal energy.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of pure charge?

The kinetic energy of pure charge is affected by two main factors: the mass of the charged particle and its velocity. The greater the mass or velocity of the charged particle, the higher its kinetic energy will be.

5. How is kinetic energy of pure charge related to other forms of energy?

Kinetic energy of pure charge is a type of potential energy, which means it can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical or thermal energy. It is also related to other types of kinetic energy, such as mechanical energy, as they all involve the movement of particles or objects.