Kernal density estimate in polar coordinates.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a nonparametric method to produce a probability density estimate for a data set containing values for power and direction. The method of choice is kernal density estimation (KDE) in python, but it does not allow for weighted data or polar coordinates, resulting in a discontinuous curve at zero degrees. The individual is seeking an implementation of KDE in any language that allows for polar coordinates or suggestions for a better method. They may also seek advice in the computer technology sections of physicsforums. Additionally, they discuss the use of a kernel with "finite support" to implement KDE on a circle and mention the availability of papers on kernel density estimation with "finite support" and "multivariate kernel density estimation".
davcrai
Hi,
I have a data set containing values for power and direction. I would like to produce a probability density estimate. The data can have multiple sources so I want to use a nonparametric method. I work in python which has a method for kernal density estimation (KDE), which I think should be suitable. However, currently the method does not allow the data to be weighted, so I can only use the directions. Also, it does not allow polar coordinates so any bins near the ends of the distribution do not include all relevant values (i.e. bins centered close to zero degrees should include points close to 360 degrees). The result is a curve that is discontinuous across zero degrees. Does anyone know where I might find an implementation for KDE (any language) that allows polar coordinates, I might write one in python but would like to try it out somewhere to make sure it is suitable to what I need first. Alternatively, if there are any better suggestions on how to estimate the distribution I would be very interested??

Physics news on Phys.org
davcrai said:
Does anyone know where I might find an implementation for KDE (any language) that allows polar coordinates,

You might get better advice on particular software if you ask in the computer technology sections of physicsforums.

Alternatively, if there are any better suggestions on how to estimate the distribution I would be very interested??

You need to describe the problem. You've hinted that you want to represent "power" and "direction". Do you want a kernel density method that gives the joint distribution for "power" and "direction"?

I don't know how determined you are to implement something that is precisely kernel density estimation. If you are using "bins", it sounds like you are doing a numerical approximation of some kind. The intuitive way to think of kernel density estimation is that each sample of observed data is "smeared out" into a density function that represents other samples that "might well have also happened". What you need to implement this idea on a circle is a kernel that has "finite support" - i.e. it is only non-zero on an interval of finite length. For example suppose you use a kernel whose support is 180 deg centered at the observed direction. If the sample value is 10 degrees, the kernel extends to -80 deg = 280 deg on the left and 100 degrees on the right.

I notice there papers written about kernel density estimation with "finite support" and also about "multivariate kernel density estimation". I don't know if any of that theory has made it into commonly available software.

1. What is a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates?

A kernel density estimate in polar coordinates is a statistical method used to estimate the probability density function (PDF) of a continuous random variable in polar coordinates. It is a non-parametric method that estimates the PDF by placing a kernel at each data point and then summing up the contributions of all the kernels to obtain a smooth estimate of the underlying distribution.

2. How does a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates differ from a traditional KDE?

A kernel density estimate in polar coordinates differs from a traditional KDE in that it takes into account the angular component of the data in addition to the radial component. This allows for a more accurate estimation of the PDF for data that is circular or directional in nature.

3. What is the advantage of using a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates?

The advantage of using a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates is that it can handle data that is not normally distributed or has a non-linear relationship. It also allows for a more accurate estimation of the PDF for data that is circular or directional in nature, such as wind direction or animal migration patterns.

4. How is bandwidth selection done in a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates?

Bandwidth selection in a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates is typically done using cross-validation methods, such as leave-one-out cross-validation or k-fold cross-validation. These methods help to choose the optimal bandwidth that minimizes the mean integrated squared error (MISE) of the estimated PDF.

5. Can a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates be visualized?

Yes, a kernel density estimate in polar coordinates can be visualized using a polar plot or a contour plot. These plots show the estimated PDF as a smooth curve or a series of contour lines, respectively, with the center representing the mean or peak of the distribution. These visualizations can help to better understand the shape and characteristics of the data in polar coordinates.