NeverWet contains nano-particles

• Thread starter Naty1
  • Start date
In summary, there is a new water repellent product called Rust-Oleum NeverWet that has been introduced through a five-minute video. It has virtually unlimited application possibilities, such as waterproofing an iPhone, but it is not suitable for electronic devices or clothing. The product is not affected by cold or heat conditions and does not make surfaces slippery. However, it may not hold up well under UV light and can flake off of bendable materials like fabrics. A TedTalk about this type of product demonstrates its effectiveness.
Naty1
Rust-Oleum NeverWet, Superhydrophobic Coating That Makes Everyday Materials Repel Liquid

A five minute video introducing a new water repellent product.

[I decided to post it here because of the virtually unlimited application possibilities, like waterproofing your i phone.]

I wonder how it performs under cold and heat conditions. Does clothing still breath when coated?? Keep snow blower chutes ice free? Keep food crud from sticking to microwave dishes. Is it 'slippery'?

No, I have no connection with the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read and hear a couple of people say that UV light is destructive to it, so something that's in the sun won't have a protective coating for long. I also read some people say that it flakes off of bendable materials like fabrics.

Lol never wet.

What are nano-particles?

Nano-particles are extremely small particles, typically measuring less than 100 nanometers in diameter. They are often used in scientific and industrial applications due to their unique properties and ability to interact with materials at the molecular level.

How do nano-particles work in NeverWet?

The nano-particles in NeverWet form a thin, invisible layer on the surface of an object. This layer creates a barrier that repels water and other liquids, preventing them from soaking into the material and causing damage. The nano-particles also help to reduce friction, making the surface more slippery and less likely to attract dirt or stains.

Are the nano-particles in NeverWet safe?

Yes, the nano-particles used in NeverWet have been extensively tested and are considered safe for use in consumer products. They are non-toxic and do not pose any health risks when used as directed. However, it is always important to follow the safety instructions listed on the product label.

How long do the nano-particles in NeverWet last?

The longevity of the nano-particles in NeverWet will vary depending on factors such as the type of surface they are applied to, the amount of wear and tear, and how often the surface is exposed to water or other liquids. In general, they can provide protection for several months before needing to be reapplied.

Can NeverWet be used on all surfaces?

No, NeverWet is not suitable for use on all surfaces. It is not recommended for use on electronic devices, as it can interfere with their functionality. It is also not suitable for use on fabrics, as it may cause discoloration or damage. Always test on a small, inconspicuous area before applying to a larger surface.

Back