Propagation of error with sliding window of measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the error on a final measurement using sliding windows and standard deviations. However, this method may overestimate the final error due to shared events between measurements. Alternatives are suggested, such as comparing floating-average values or calculating the uncertainty for each measurement and using that to calculate the final uncertainty. The formula for the final result may be simplified but it is not clear how it would look.
DethLark
Hello, I don't seem to know how to ask google this question so I thought I'd see if I could get an answer from here.

Say I have 400 measurements of some variable. I take a sliding window of 50 events and take the standard deviation of each set of 50 events. That would be 350 measurements. Now I want to take the first and second 175 events, take the average of each, and subtract them.

Normally to propagate the error on this final measurement you would, for each side, find the error of each standard deviation std/sqrt(2*(50-1)) then take use sqrt(sum of the squares)/175 to find the error on the average std.dev. for each side. Then use sqrt(sum of the squares) of these two errors for the final error on the subtraction of the averages.

The problem with this is that each measurement of the std.dev shares 49 events with the previous so this method would overestimate the final error. What to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to compare the floating-average values? Can you compare the original values?

If all values are expected to follow the same distribution, you can calculate the uncertainty for each measurement (out of 400), find a big expression for your final result, and calculate its uncertainty based on the uncertainties of each measurement. I would expect that this formula can be simplified a lot, but I don't know how the final result would look like. In the best case, it does not depend directly on the original 400 values, but just on your 350 values.

1. What is propagation of error with sliding window of measurement?

Propagation of error with sliding window of measurement is a statistical method used to estimate the uncertainty or error in a measurement that is taken over a certain time period or window. It takes into account the variation in the measurement over time.

2. How does propagation of error with sliding window of measurement work?

This method works by analyzing a series of measurements taken over a certain time period and calculating the average of these measurements. It then determines the standard deviation of the measurements and uses this to estimate the uncertainty in the average value.

3. What are the advantages of using propagation of error with sliding window of measurement?

The main advantage of this method is that it takes into account the variation in the measurement over time, providing a more accurate estimate of uncertainty compared to traditional methods that only consider a single measurement.

4. What types of measurements can propagation of error with sliding window of measurement be applied to?

This method can be applied to any type of measurement that is taken over a time period, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and data analysis.

5. How can propagation of error with sliding window of measurement be used to improve the accuracy of measurements?

By using this method, the uncertainty in a measurement can be more accurately estimated, which can improve the overall accuracy of the measurement. It also allows for the identification of any systematic errors or trends that may exist in the data, leading to further improvements in accuracy.