Question about singular integral eq.

• Thread starter rugphy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about the Fredholm integral equation, including its definition as a singular integral equation and how to find a solution. The definition of a singular kernel is also mentioned and suggestions for further materials or resources are requested. The conversation also notes an error in the original equation and clarifies that solving Fredholm equations is a complex topic.
rugphy
Hi,
I've questions about the Fredholm integral equation :
1. Is an following eq.
[itex]a(x)y(x) + \int^{∞}_{-∞}\frac{\sin(x-y)}{x-y}dy = f(x)[/itex]
be defined as singular integral equation, if it is how can i get the solution?
2. What is the definition of singular kernel and is the kernel in (1)?

please help me or give me some suggestions/links to materials about these.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look carefully at your post. The integral is constant (not dependent on x). I believe you need some function of y under the integral sign.

rugphy said:
Hi,
I've questions about the Fredholm integral equation :
1. Is an following eq.
[itex]a(x)y(x) + \int^{∞}_{-∞}\frac{\sin(x-y)}{x-y}dy = f(x)[/itex]
be defined as singular integral equation, if it is how can i get the solution?
2. What is the definition of singular kernel and is the kernel in (1)?

please help me or give me some suggestions/links to materials about these.

Thank you.

Sorry, there are flaws in the above eq. It should be
[itex]a(x)y(x) + \int^{∞}_{-∞}\frac{\sin(k(x-t))}{π(x-t)}y(t)dt = f(x)[/itex]
where a(x) and f(x) are known functions, and y(x) is unknown function.

mathman said:
I suggest you look carefully at your post. The integral is constant (not dependent on x). I believe you need some function of y under the integral sign.

Thanks you very much for that remark. In future, I will do it more carefully.

It is called singular because the absolute value of the kernel is not integrable. Solving Fredholm equations is a major branch of analysis - there is no simple answer.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a singular integral equation?

A singular integral equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves an integral (or sum) of a function with a singularity (a point where the function becomes infinite or undefined). These equations are often used to model physical systems and are solved using techniques from calculus and analysis.

2. How is a singular integral equation different from a regular integral equation?

A singular integral equation is different from a regular integral equation in that it involves a singularity in the integrand. This means that the integral may not exist in the traditional sense, and special techniques must be used to solve it. Additionally, singular integral equations often have unique properties and solutions that regular integral equations do not.

3. What are some applications of singular integral equations?

Singular integral equations have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to model electromagnetic fields, in mechanics to study fluid flow, and in signal processing to analyze non-stationary signals. They have also been applied in areas such as image processing, quantum mechanics, and finance.

4. How are singular integral equations solved?

There are several methods for solving singular integral equations, including the method of moments, the Wiener-Hopf method, and the Riemann-Hilbert method. These techniques involve transforming the equation into a different form that is easier to solve and then using specific mathematical tools to find a solution. The choice of method depends on the specific properties of the singular integral equation and the desired solution.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving singular integral equations?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with solving singular integral equations. One of the main challenges is the presence of singularities, which can make the integrals difficult or impossible to evaluate. Additionally, the solutions to singular integral equations may not always be unique, and the choice of method can greatly affect the accuracy and efficiency of the solution. As such, careful consideration and analysis are required when working with singular integral equations.