Limit of expression containing unknown function.

In summary, the question asks if it is possible to say that the limit of x times the derivative of the absolute value squared of a function f(x) is equal to zero if the integral of the absolute value squared of f(x) is finite. The question also inquires about any theorems that deal with such limits for unknown functions with known properties. This question arose from studying Griffith's introductory textbook on quantum mechanics, where the author uses this limit to be zero based on the function going to zero at infinity. However, the function may go to zero asymptotically, leading to an indeterminate form. The individual posting the question hopes to receive a more general answer about these types of limits and the theories that deal with them.
D_Tr
I would like to get an answer or pointers to suitable material, on the following question:

I know that ∫|f(x)|2dx is finite. Can we say that lim x→±∞ x*(d/dx)|f(x)|2 is zero? Are there any theorems about such limits with unknown functions that have some known properties? Basically this question arose from Griffith's introductory QM textbook which I started studying today (self study). f(x) is Ψ(x) and the author at page 16 takes the above limits to be zero "on the ground that Ψ goes to zero at ±∞". But it may go to zero asymptotically, and x goes to infinity, so we have an indeterminate form and we know only that the function's absolute value squared has a finite integral. I posted here, however, since I would like to get a more general answer on these types of limits and to be at least aware of the theory that deals with them.

Thanks in advance for your precious time people!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given: $$I=\int_{-\infty}^\infty |f(x)|^2\;\text{d}x$$ ... if ##I## converges, then; $$\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty} x\frac{d}{dx}|f(x)|^2 = 0$$

(We also know from context that f(x) is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.)

I suspect there are other implied conditions... but I think it pretty much follows from the definition of an integral and the conditions for convergence.

What was the author trying to show by that particular limit?

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot :) The author calculated the time derivative of <x>, just before introducing the notion of the operator. In one of the few steps he eliminated the following term which appeared as a result of integration by parts:
[x[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]|Ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]^{-∞}_{∞}[/itex], "on the grounds that Ψ goes to zero at plus and minus infinity". It seems obvious now but I was a bit confused by the fact that the expression was multiplied by x and that the derivative was written in its expanded form containing he complex Ψ and Ψ* functions.

D_Tr said:
Thanks a lot :) The author calculated the time derivative of <x>, just before introducing the notion of the operator. In one of the few steps he eliminated the following term which appeared as a result of integration by parts:
[x[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]|Ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex]][itex]^{-∞}_{∞}[/itex], "on the grounds that Ψ goes to zero at plus and minus infinity". It seems obvious now but I was a bit confused by the fact that the expression was multiplied by x and that the derivative was written in its expanded form containing he complex Ψ and Ψ* functions.

No worries - it can take a while to learn to read these things ;)

Simon Bridge said:
Given: $$I=\int_{-\infty}^\infty |f(x)|^2\;\text{d}x$$ ... if ##I## converges, then; $$\lim_{x\rightarrow\pm\infty} x\frac{d}{dx}|f(x)|^2 = 0$$

(We also know from context that f(x) is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.)

This isn't actually true...for example f(x)2 can be the function which is 0 everywhere except for in the interval [n,n+1/n] where it bumps up to a value of 1/n and then back down to zero. Then the integral is equal to the sum
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 1/n^2 [/tex]
which converges, but when it bumps up the derivative could be arbitrarily large; so that limit could fail to be zero even before you include multiplying by x.

Probably the condition that f(x) is supposed to be satisfying here is something like |f(x)|2 is convex if f(x) is large enough (equivalently |f(x)|2 is decreasing for large enough values of x - if |f(x)|2 is decreasing down to zero and you don't have those bumps, then it has to die faster than 1/x to be integrable, so the derivative will look like 1/x2 or something smaller (this is a handwavy argument but can probably be made rigorous).

I had thought of that ...
Does it matter that the derivative (per your example) in the interval that f is non-zero could be arbitrarily large?
The limit is taken arbitrarily far away from that interval - where the derivative is zero.

1. What is the limit of an expression containing an unknown function?

The limit of an expression containing an unknown function refers to the value that the expression approaches as the input of the unknown function gets closer and closer to a specific value. It is a way to determine the behavior of the unknown function at a particular point.

2. How do you calculate the limit of an expression with an unknown function?

To calculate the limit of an expression with an unknown function, you can use techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, or the use of limits laws. Additionally, you can also use graphing and numerical methods to estimate the limit.

3. Can the limit of an expression with an unknown function exist?

Yes, the limit of an expression with an unknown function can exist. It indicates that the function is continuous at that point, meaning that the value of the function at that point is the same as the limit of the expression.

4. What does the limit of an expression with an unknown function tell us?

The limit of an expression with an unknown function provides information about the behavior of the function at a specific point. It can help determine if the function is continuous at that point or if there are any asymptotes or discontinuities. It can also be used to evaluate the slope and concavity of a function at a particular point.

5. Can the limit of an expression with an unknown function be used to find the value of the function?

No, the limit of an expression with an unknown function cannot be used to find the exact value of the function. It only provides information about the behavior of the function at a specific point, not its actual value. To find the value of the function, you would need to evaluate the function at that specific point.