Incomplete integration explanation

In summary: Area is always measured in terms of square units, which is why it makes sense to say "area under the curve" without giving any other units.
BOAS
hello,

i have a question about an explanation of integration as finding the area under a curve. I don't have any problems doing the integration but it's more a case of why?

Finding the area bound by two curves is easy enough but what does that area actually mean?

I know that it's a useful tool applied to physical examples where the area under the curve of something like radioactive decay has units, but I don't understand what it means to speak of area without giving it some units.

I hope that makes sense and that I have posted this in a relevant subsection. I don't know if it's a useful question to ask, but if there is an answer out there, I would be interested to know.

Thanks,

BOAS

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BOAS! :smile:

Suppose you have a graph of force against time, for when a bat hits a ball.

The area under the curve is the total momentum imparted to the ball.

(and it equals ∫ F dt, which comes from F = d(momentum)/dt)

tiny-tim said:
Hi BOAS! :smile:

Suppose you have a graph of force against time, for when a bat hits a ball.

The area under the curve is the total momentum imparted to the ball.

(and it equals ∫ F dt, which comes from F = d(momentum)/dt)

Hello,

thanks for the response.

I do appreciate that integration as a method for finding the area beneath a curve is an extremely useful tool. What is bugging me a little, is the idea of finding the area bound by say, two curves. It doesn't seem meaningful to speak of area without units, although a quick sketch of the curve will tell you that there is indeed an area there.

It isn't really a big deal, but "area = 4" just feels odd and I was wondering if there was some explanation of why it can make sense without needing any units.

Hello BOAS! :smile:
BOAS said:
What is bugging me a little, is the idea of finding the area bound by say, two curves. It doesn't seem meaningful to speak of area without units, although a quick sketch of the curve will tell you that there is indeed an area there.

… why it can make sense without needing any units.

there are units …

eg in my example, the axes had units of Newtons and seconds, with an area of Newton-seconds

(and for an example of what an area-bounded-by-two-curves can represent, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Hello BOAS! :smile:

there are units …

eg in my example, the axes had units of Newtons and seconds, with an area of Newton-seconds

(and for an example of what an area-bounded-by-two-curves can represent, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis :wink:)

I do understand your example - I think I'm splitting hairs really.

In my maths class we've been doing problems that don't represent any physical thing, so neither axis had units.

I don't think it's especially important, I was just curious to see if there was a mathematical reason for being able to talk about are without units.

What is incomplete integration?

Incomplete integration is a term used in the scientific community to describe a situation where the integration of two or more systems or processes is not fully complete. This can result in gaps or errors in the overall functionality or understanding of the integrated systems.

Why is incomplete integration important to study?

Incomplete integration is important to study because it can lead to misunderstandings or inefficiencies in various fields of study, such as biology, physics, and computer science. By understanding the causes and effects of incomplete integration, scientists can work towards creating more accurate and efficient integrations.

What are some common causes of incomplete integration?

Some common causes of incomplete integration include differences in terminology, incompatible data formats, and inadequate communication or collaboration between parties involved in the integration process. These issues can lead to discrepancies and gaps in the integrated systems.

How can scientists address incomplete integration?

Scientists can address incomplete integration by utilizing standardized terminology and data formats, establishing clear communication and collaboration protocols, and conducting thorough testing and validation of the integrated systems. It is also important to continuously monitor and update the integration to ensure completeness.

What are some potential consequences of incomplete integration?

The consequences of incomplete integration can vary depending on the specific systems and processes being integrated. In some cases, it can lead to inaccurate or incomplete data, which can hinder scientific progress and understanding. In other cases, it can result in malfunctions or errors in the integrated systems, leading to potential safety hazards or financial losses.