Free Particle: Prove Constant in Time

It is just the kinetic energy operator. And remember, the expectation value of an operator is given by <A> = <ψ|A|ψ>. Can you calculate <p> in terms of the given wave function? In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the constancy of <p> (momentum) in time for a free particle moving in one dimension without using the commutator theorem. The suggested approach is to calculate <p> using the definition of the expectation value of an operator and the given wave function.
renegade05

Homework Statement

A free particle moving in one dimension is in the initial state ψ(x,0). Prove that
<p> is constant in time by direct calculation (i.e., without recourse to the
commutator theorem regarding constants of the motion).

Homework Equations

<p> = m*(d<x>/dt) ?
S.E.
ψ(x,0)= 1/(√(2∏))*∫Θ(k)e^(ikx)dk

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure where to start... Should I find <x> ? is that the easiest way? And how do you this for a free particle ? stuff is confusing me. Can someone give me a start here...

Physics news on Phys.org
renegade05 said:

Homework Statement

A free particle moving in one dimension is in the initial state ψ(x,0). Prove that
<p> is constant in time by direct calculation (i.e., without recourse to the
commutator theorem regarding constants of the motion).

Homework Equations

<p> = m*(d<x>/dt) ?
No, don't use this. Use the definition of the expectation value of an operator.

S.E.
ψ(x,0)= 1/(√(2∏))*∫Θ(k)e^(ikx)dk

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure where to start... Should I find <x> ? is that the easiest way? And how do you this for a free particle ? stuff is confusing me. Can someone give me a start here...
What is the Hamiltonian for a free particle?

1. What is a free particle?

A free particle is an object that is not subject to any external forces, such as gravity or friction. It moves freely and its motion is only affected by its own inertia.

2. What does it mean to prove constant in time?

To prove constant in time means to show that a certain property or characteristic of an object remains the same over a period of time, regardless of any external factors.

3. How is the constancy of a free particle in time proven?

The constancy of a free particle in time is proven through mathematical equations and experiments that show its position, velocity, and momentum remain unchanged over time.

4. What are the implications of a free particle being constant in time?

The implications of a free particle being constant in time are that its motion is predictable and it follows the laws of physics consistently. This allows for accurate predictions and calculations in various fields, such as astronomy and particle physics.

5. Are there any exceptions to a free particle being constant in time?

In theory, a free particle should remain constant in time. However, in reality, there are factors such as external forces or interactions with other particles that can cause slight deviations in its motion. These deviations are usually very small and can be accounted for in calculations.