Solve Linked Masspoints Equation of Motion: α,l,m,g

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
In summary: Okay, so I can just give t(α) = (some constants)*F(b, α)? (Yes, I know I should just ask the professor, but I have a few problems with that)In summary, the student is trying to solve for t(α) using the equation given, but is having trouble with the integral.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Two particles of equal mass, one restricted to move along the y-axis and one restricted to move along the x axis, are linked by a solid rod of length l. Obtain the Lagrangian for the generalized coordinate α, defined as the angle of the rod with the horitzontal (see picture) and solve the equations of motion.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h43s1749z7852oh/2014-01-30 22.50.54.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My lagrangian looks like this: L = (m/2)l2[itex]\dot{α}[/itex]2 -mglsin(α)

From it I obtain [itex]\ddot{α}[/itex] = (g/l) cos(α)

But I don't know how to solve that. I know how to use the small angle approximation for the case when there is a sin. Here I am clueless.

And I am algo given a hint which confounds me: I am told to solve for t(α) applying the following equation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl2xfm07wt40kdn/2014-01-30 23.00.23.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]\omega=\dot \alpha[/itex].

[tex] \ddot \alpha = \frac{d \omega}{d \alpha} \frac {d \alpha }{dt}=0.5\frac{d(\omega^2)}{d \alpha} =\frac {g}{l}\cos(\alpha)[/tex]

Integrate. You get ω=dα/dt as function of alpha. Integrate again.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thank you, that was a clever trick! Now i can get to the equation mentioned on the hints. However I cannot go on, as the integral seems rather complex (i solved it with wolfram and ran out of computing time).

The hint actually tells me to give the result as t(α) applying the function F there defined. Would you interpret that as that I can just give t(α) = (some constants)*F(b, α)? (Yes, I know I should just ask the professor, but I have a few problems with that)

carllacan said:
The hint actually tells me to give the result as t(α) applying the function F there defined. Would you interpret that as that I can just give t(α) = (some constants)*F(b, α)? (Yes, I know I should just ask the professor, but I have a few problems with that)

I would say you can use the hint given.

ehild

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical setup and the variables involved. From the given picture and information, it appears that we have two particles of equal mass connected by a rod of length l, with one particle restricted to move along the x-axis and the other along the y-axis. The angle α is defined as the angle of the rod with the horizontal axis.

Next, I would use the Lagrangian approach to solve for the equations of motion. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of generalized coordinates, which in this case is the angle α. The Lagrangian is given by L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy.

In this case, the kinetic energy is given by the sum of the kinetic energies of the two particles, which can be expressed as (m/2)(l^2)(α̇^2), where m is the mass of the particles and α̇ is the time derivative of α. The potential energy is given by the gravitational potential energy, which is -mgl sin(α). Therefore, the Lagrangian for this system is L = (m/2)(l^2)(α̇^2) - mgl sin(α).

Using the Euler-Lagrange equation, we can obtain the equation of motion for α, which is given by d/dt(dL/dα̇) - (dL/dα) = 0. This results in the equation \ddot{α} = (g/l) cos(α).

To solve this equation, we can use the given hint of solving for t(α) using the equation provided. This equation is known as the elliptic integral of the first kind and can be solved using numerical methods. Alternatively, we can also use the small angle approximation for small values of α, which simplifies the equation to \ddot{α} = (g/l)α. This is a simple harmonic oscillator equation and can be solved analytically.

In conclusion, the Lagrangian approach allows us to obtain the equations of motion for a system in terms of generalized coordinates. In this case, we obtained the equation of motion for the angle α and can solve it using numerical methods or the small angle approximation.

1. How do you solve a linked masspoints equation of motion?

Solving a linked masspoints equation of motion involves using the principles of mechanics and Newton's laws of motion to determine the acceleration, velocity, and position of each masspoint in the system. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations that represent the forces acting on each masspoint.

2. What is the significance of α, l, m, and g in the linked masspoints equation of motion?

α represents the angle between the two connected masspoints, l represents the length of the link between the two masspoints, m represents the mass of each masspoint, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity. These variables are essential in determining the forces and motions of the masspoints in the system.

3. What are the key assumptions made when solving a linked masspoints equation of motion?

The key assumptions made are that the masspoints are connected by a rigid link, the link has negligible mass, and there are no external forces acting on the system other than gravity. These assumptions allow for simplification of the equations and make it possible to solve the system using basic principles of mechanics.

4. Can the linked masspoints equation of motion be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, the linked masspoints equation of motion can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as a pendulum or a suspended bridge. However, in these scenarios, there may be additional factors to consider, such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the motion of the masspoints.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a linked masspoints equation of motion?

Some common challenges include correctly identifying and representing all the forces acting on the masspoints, solving the system of equations accurately, and dealing with non-ideal scenarios such as air resistance or varying masses. It is also essential to properly set up the initial conditions and boundary conditions for the system.