Solutions compared of solutes and solvents

• Thread starter Karma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about filling in empty spaces in a solute and solvent table. The examples provided include solid solutes dissolved in liquid solvents, gases being produced from solids, and solutions of gases in other gases. The conversation also suggests considering suspensions and colloidal substances, as well as liquid solutes in liquid solvents.
Hi I am doing this solute and solvent table and i need to fill in some empty spaces here is what i got so far, and what i need, any help will be appreciated.

Solvent Solute
Solid----> Solid---> Alloys such as bronze and brass
Liquid----> Solid ---> Salt in water (solid solute dissolved into a liquid solvent)
Gas-----> Solid ----> ?

Solvent Solute
Solid ---> liquid ---??
Liquid ---> liquid ---?
Gas ---> liquid ---?

Solvent Solute
Solid ---> Gas---> Hydrogen gas being produced from palladum
Liquid --> Gas--->Hydrochloric Acid, by dissolving hydrogen chloride gas in water
Gas ----> Gas --->Air, has a solution of N2 and O2

Chemistry news on Phys.org
you might wish to consider suspensions, colloidal substances such as mayonaise. As for the liquid/liquid...there are many example, liquid ethanol in water. I'll let some others here help out with the rest.

In the first table, the missing solute in the gas-solvent combination could be a gas such as carbon dioxide (CO2), which can dissolve in water to form carbonic acid.

In the second table, the missing solute in the solid-liquid combination could be a solid such as sugar, which can dissolve in water to form a liquid solution.

In the third table, the missing solute in the gas-gas combination could be a gas such as carbon monoxide (CO), which can dissolve in air to form a gas solution.

What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where the substances are evenly distributed at the molecular level. It consists of a solute (the substance being dissolved) and a solvent (the substance doing the dissolving).

What is the difference between a solute and a solvent?

A solute is the substance being dissolved in a solution, while a solvent is the substance that does the dissolving. Typically, the solvent is present in a greater amount than the solute.

How are the properties of a solution affected by the amount of solute and solvent?

The properties of a solution, such as boiling point, freezing point, and density, are affected by the amount of solute and solvent present. Adding more solute can increase the boiling point and decrease the freezing point, while adding more solvent can have the opposite effect.

What is the difference between a dilute and concentrated solution?

A dilute solution has a relatively small amount of solute compared to the amount of solvent, while a concentrated solution has a large amount of solute compared to the amount of solvent. The concentration of a solution can be measured in various units, such as molarity or percent by mass.

How do solutions of different solutes and solvents compare?

The properties of a solution can vary depending on the type of solute and solvent used. For example, a solution of sugar in water will have different properties than a solution of salt in water. The solubility of a substance also plays a role in how well it will dissolve in a particular solvent.